PRESIDENT Akufo-Addo has announced Nalerigu as the capital of the yet-to-be created North East Region.
He made the declaration earlier today as he commenced the presentations of the Constitutional Instruments (CIs) on the six new regions.
DNG Online is informed that Nalerigu is the largest town in the East Mamprusi Municipal Assembly of the Northern Region.
The president is presenting the CIs to the chiefs and people from the respective regions at the Jubilee House, the seat of government in Accra.
The creation of the six new regions follows a successful referendum held on December 28, 2018.
The presentations of the CIs started today, February 12, 2019, with the North East and Savannah Regions.
On Wednesday, February 13, the president will present the CIs for Bono East and Ahafo Regions respectively.
He is due to conclude the presentations on Friday, February 15, with the Western North and Oti Regions.
Proposals to create the new regions were made by chiefs and people in the respective regions.
There have been agitations over which towns or cities should serve as the capitals of the new regions.
The chiefs and people in the regions have been demonstrating and lobbying fiercely as they claimed they have been sidelined in the process to name the capitals.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Eyeing the White House: The Democratic Field
- NDC presidential election slated for 23rd February 2019
- Nigeria's Buhari says well enough for second term
- Free Zones Boss Okyere Baafi Emerges Best CEO For 2018
- When The Banks Breed Greed
- Circle Neoplan Station Catches Fire
- S2S Taekwondo Begins At Dansoman
- WISA Honours Alice “Baby Jet” Annum
- Nigeria: main candidates set out stall as vote looms
- Mahama Gay Activist Photo Endorsed LGBT Rights - NPP Equalises Menzgold
- Mystery of Easter Island's Statues Finally Addressed
- NDC Accused of Diverting 100 Vehicles Meant for Education Ministry
- Man Secretly Marries 3 Women
- Political Vigilantism: There Will Be An Explosion in 2020 If...
- Human Rights Lawyer Wants GBA President Step Aside Over Rape Allegations
- UNHCR Provides Sustainable Support to Refugees in Ghana
- 80 Shops Gutted by Odorna Market Fire
- Abbad Reda Appointed CEO of MTN Afghanistan
- I Am Ready To Contest For GFA Presidency - Fred Pappoe
- Nwankwo Kanu Charges Nigeria To Clinch AFCON 2019
- Hearts of Oak Rubbishes President Cup Contest With Gt. Olympics
- AFCON 2019: Our Main Target Is To Win The Tourney - NFF President
- Derby Beat Southampton On Penalties In FA Cup Thriller
- Henry's Monaco Draw With Vieira's Nice
- Girona Shock Atletico In Copa del Rey
- Juventus 1-0 AC Milan: Cristiano Ronaldo Header Wins Supercoppa For Juve
- Over 80 shops razed by Odorna Market fire
- Fire fighters battle Odorna Market Fire
- PTA Council Cries Over 'Inexperienced' NABCo Teachers Used for SHS
- Bel-Aqua Bottled-Water Is Not Contaminated – Management
- Effective Living Series 2019: Doreen Baffoe Lists 10 Types of Employees Easily Recognized and Promoted
- Nigerian Kidnapper Charged for Escaping Cell
- Hearts of oak deny knowledge of President Cup contest with Olympics
- Unilever Ghana unveils new manufacturing plants in Tema
- Inter Allies to organize two-week trial to select players for youth team
- Can Ghana striker Kwesi Appiah reach the top level of football?
- Atwima Kwanwoma Rural Bank supports education
- Ofori-Atta asked me to resign to pave way for Akufo-Addo's own – Ex-dep. BoG governor
- Police ready to crack down on political vigilantism – COP Kofi Boakye
- Apply DKM Principle in Menzgold saga - NDC to government
- Anas' partner Ahmed Hussein-Suale shot dead
- Tullow targets drilling, completion of works on new wells in this year