PRESIDENT Akufo-Addo has declared Damongo as the capital for the newly created Savannah Region.
He made the announcement around 4:00pm today at the Jubilee House as he presented the Constitutional Instrument (C I) for the creation of the region to the Overlord of the Gonjaland, Yagbonwura Tutumba Bore Esa I.
In his speech to the chiefs and people of the Savannah Region, the president said the onus “now is on government to put into motion processes for the rapid development of the Savannah Region.”
According to him, “You will not be far from wrong if you described the Savannah Region as the least developed part of the Northern Region.”
The irony in all of this, he said, is that the Savannah Region is blessed with an abundance of natural resources.
He explained that “today’s ceremony, the presentation of the Constitutional Instrument for the creation of the Savannah Region and the signing of the Instrument of Attestation are the result of 23 years of agitations, pleas and petitions made by successive Yagbonwuras, Members of Parliament, the Gonjaland Youth Association, amongst others, to successive governments for the creation of this region, to no avail”
The presentation ceremony attracted chiefs, queen mothers, Members of Parliament, MDCEs, both past and present.
Regional Reorganization & Development Minister Dan Kweku Botwe expressed his happiness for the programme, saying it marks a very significant milestone in the history of Ghana.
He said the quest for the creation of new regions has a long history, and in 2017, the president gave boost to that.
Mr. Botwe thanked President Akufo-Addo for his guidance he gave to the ministry in the course of creating the region.
He said the president was guided by Articles 4, and 5 of the 1992 Constitution, recounting that the ministry and the Commission of Inquiry had meetings with several stakeholders, including all chiefs and Members of Parliament.
He acknowledged the special role played by the president in honouring the New Patriotic Party’s 2016 campaign promise of ensuring the creation of the new regions, saying, “our president exercised real political courage.”
He thanked all the eminent chiefs in the Gonjaland who warmly received officials of the ministry and the members of the Justice Stephen Allan-Brobbey-led Commission of Inquiry.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Eyeing the White House: The Democratic Field
- NDC presidential election slated for 23rd February 2019
- Nigeria's Buhari says well enough for second term
- Free Zones Boss Okyere Baafi Emerges Best CEO For 2018
- When The Banks Breed Greed
- Circle Neoplan Station Catches Fire
- Suspected anglophone separatists release 30 kidnapped in Cameroon: security source
- A Letter To My Fellow Ghanaians! –The Ten Years Challenge
- Killing Ghanaian Businesses To Establish Foreign Ones Is An Exercise In Mediocrity
- S2S Taekwondo Begins At Dansoman
- WISA Honours Alice “Baby Jet” Annum
- Ghanaian movie “Keteke” nominated for 2019 FESPACO in Burkina Faso
- Thomas Partey's Atletico Madrid dumped out of Copa Del Rey
- Ghanaians used to call me ugly until Patapaa came to my rescue – Lil Win
- Nigerian Technician convicted for defilement, incest pleads for mercy
- Nigeria: main candidates set out stall as vote looms
- Mahama Gay Activist Photo Endorsed LGBT Rights - NPP Equalises Menzgold
- Mystery of Easter Island's Statues Finally Addressed
- NDC Accused of Diverting 100 Vehicles Meant for Education Ministry
- Man Secretly Marries 3 Women
- Political Vigilantism: There Will Be An Explosion in 2020 If...
- Human Rights Lawyer Wants GBA President Step Aside Over Rape Allegations
- UNHCR Provides Sustainable Support to Refugees in Ghana
- 80 Shops Gutted by Odorna Market Fire
- Abbad Reda Appointed CEO of MTN Afghanistan
- I Am Ready To Contest For GFA Presidency - Fred Pappoe
- Nwankwo Kanu Charges Nigeria To Clinch AFCON 2019
- Hearts of Oak Rubbishes President Cup Contest With Gt. Olympics
- AFCON 2019: Our Main Target Is To Win The Tourney - NFF President
- Derby Beat Southampton On Penalties In FA Cup Thriller
- Henry's Monaco Draw With Vieira's Nice
- Girona Shock Atletico In Copa del Rey
- Juventus 1-0 AC Milan: Cristiano Ronaldo Header Wins Supercoppa For Juve
- Over 80 shops razed by Odorna Market fire
- Fire fighters battle Odorna Market Fire
- PTA Council Cries Over 'Inexperienced' NABCo Teachers Used for SHS
- Bel-Aqua Bottled-Water Is Not Contaminated – Management
- Effective Living Series 2019: Doreen Baffoe Lists 10 Types of Employees Easily Recognized and Promoted
- Nigerian Kidnapper Charged for Escaping Cell
- Hearts of oak deny knowledge of President Cup contest with Olympics
- Unilever Ghana unveils new manufacturing plants in Tema
- Inter Allies to organize two-week trial to select players for youth team