7The seven persons arrested in connection with disturbances in Salaga following the naming of Damongo as capital of the newly created Savannah Region have been transferred to Accra.
The Northern Regional Police Public Relations Officer (PRO), DSP Mohammed Yusif Tanko, who confirmed the incident to DGN Online, said the suspects were being held for further interrogations.
He added that the suspects, who have not been charged, would be arraigned before a court in Accra instead of Salaga where the crime was allegedly committed.
Meanwhile, tension is mounting in Salaga due to the transfer of the suspects to Accra to face prosecution.
The irate youth asked the authorities to immediately release the suspects or face their wrath.
Some angry youth in Salaga went on rampage on Tuesday, burning and destroying properties belonging to the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) after the president named Damango as the capital of the Savannah regional capital last Thursday.
They set fire to the NPP constituency office and other party properties in the East Gonja District of the Savannah Region, formerly in the Northern Region.
They also burnt down the NPP Office, posters billboards and other properties of the party.
The angry youth claimed they had given the governing NPP a seat in parliament and, therefore, deserved to host the regional capital.
The irate youth vowed to vote against the NPP in 2020 for disappointing them.
Security has been beefed up in Salaga and its environs owing to the development.
From Eric Kombat, Tamale
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race For Knockout Stage Heats Up
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- My ex-staff now hawks tiger nuts; it breaks my heart – UT’s Amoabeng
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Ghanaians descend heavily on Anas following Sannie Daara legal knockout in human rights suit
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- We Don’t Begrudge Techiman, Whether Capital Or Not Nkoranza Will Develop ─Group
- Dr. Da Costa Applauds Gov’t over New Ambulances
- Chief Imam In London
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Ozil Ready To Frustrate Arsenal
- Family of late cop exposes Mahama over video showed to diplomats
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Gen. Mosquito, Ofosu-Ampofo, Ponkoh, run for cover as NDC meeting turns bloody
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- These 5 fuel stations have decreased their fuel prices despite the weak performance of the Ghanaian cedi
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK