7The seven persons arrested in connection with disturbances in Salaga following the naming of Damongo as capital of the newly created Savannah Region have been transferred to Accra.
The Northern Regional Police Public Relations Officer (PRO), DSP Mohammed Yusif Tanko, who confirmed the incident to DGN Online, said the suspects were being held for further interrogations.
He added that the suspects, who have not been charged, would be arraigned before a court in Accra instead of Salaga where the crime was allegedly committed.
Meanwhile, tension is mounting in Salaga due to the transfer of the suspects to Accra to face prosecution.
The irate youth asked the authorities to immediately release the suspects or face their wrath.
Some angry youth in Salaga went on rampage on Tuesday, burning and destroying properties belonging to the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) after the president named Damango as the capital of the Savannah regional capital last Thursday.
They set fire to the NPP constituency office and other party properties in the East Gonja District of the Savannah Region, formerly in the Northern Region.
They also burnt down the NPP Office, posters billboards and other properties of the party.
The angry youth claimed they had given the governing NPP a seat in parliament and, therefore, deserved to host the regional capital.
The irate youth vowed to vote against the NPP in 2020 for disappointing them.
Security has been beefed up in Salaga and its environs owing to the development.
From Eric Kombat, Tamale
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Big Ups Stone, Keep Crashing Shatta Wale – Sam George
- Commey ready to ‘rock and roll’ against Beltran
- Ghana Standards Authority Takes Part in Building Code Forum
- Arrest James Agalga now over 4,000 guns – NPP Charges Security Agencies
- Edward Ameyibor’s funeral fixed for Friday, July 5
- Andre Ayew replaces Gyan as Black Stars substantive captain
- Monday rains flood Ayariga’s home, mess up Bentley, 7 other luxury cars
- CK Akonnor impressed with Yacouba's performance following return from injury
- NIA authorized registration at selected churches
- Police clash with Krobo residents over PDS mass disconnection exercise
- Its unfortunate Gyan has hanged his boot; lets respect his decision – Augustine Arhinful
- Terrorists Alert: 400 Burkinabes Screened At Tumu
- Help find cost effective ways to reclaim degraded land – Osafo Maafo
- Tree falls on parked vehicle at University of Ghana
- VFL-Ghana Takes Four Essay Winners On Field Trip
- Support SDG Delivery Fund - Akufo-Addo urges CEOs
- I'm happy at Atletico - Thomas Partey reveals amidst Arsenal interest
- Mass power cuts: Krobos clash with police, PDS staff
- Give a verdict on ambulances purchased under Mahama’s government – Segbefia to EOCO
- Minority joins anti-fascist, anti-Gestapo-style FM closure march
- Inflation Rate Shoots Up Slightly to 9.5 percent
- China to Construct Ultramodern Industrial City in Central Region
- Eastern Konnect congratulates MEGHISS for winning the International Robotics Festival competition
- Investing in the blue economy to accelerate sustainable development in Africa
- Normalization Committee vs Kwesi Nyantakyi; The Hypocrisy of Some Ghanaian Sports Journalists
- Businesses urged to invest in technology
- Stop bastardising EC; why didn't you raise hacking concerns when Charlotte was in office - Oppong Nkrumah
- 1-D-1-F: Government commissions Avocado Factory to employ 5,000 youth
- Asamoah Gyan announces Black Stars retirement
- GES denies charging teachers on new Kindergarten curriculum
- 2019 AFCON: Kwasi Appiah wants to name Andre Ayew Black Stars captain -Reports
- Manya: Youth clash with police over PDS disconnections
- Manya Krobo: Youth clash with police over PDS disconnections
- KIA terminal 3 floods after Monday rains
- President Akufo Addo Paves Way for Kpassa-Mama Akura Road Construction
- Chief Imam Lauds Twellium Company On 2nd Edition Of National Quran Recitation
- Set up special courts for financial cases – BOG boss
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan recuses himself from Black Stars ahead of 2019 AFCON
- Ayariga’s house flooded after Accra rains
- Kwesi Appiah failed to defend Gyan's axing at management meeting - Report
- 200 students benefit from GNPC Scholarship