Ghana’s New Administrative Regions
THE NUMBER of administrative regions in Ghana has finally increased from 10 to 16 following the successful presentations of the Constitutional Instruments (C I) on the creation of the six new regions.
The new regions are Oti, Western North, North East, Ahafo, Savannah and Bono East Regions.
Bono East’s capital is Techiman; Western North has Sefwi Wiaso; North East’s capital is Nalerigu and Savannah has Damongo as its capital. For Oti Region, Dambai was chosen by President Akufo-Addo as its capital.
The creations of the regions bring to an end decades of petitions calling for the formation of the regions.
The chiefs and people from the Oti Region, for instance, started demanding the creation of the region as far back as 1954, with the head of Western North delegation to the Jubilee House, President of the Western Regional House of Chiefs, Ogyeahohoo Yaw Gyebi II, lamenting that successive governments since the 1950s paid what he termed as lip-service to the creation of the Western North Region.
The six new regions were carved from four already existing regions, namely Brong Ahafo, which has been split into three; Northern Region, also split into three; Western Region and Volta Region.
Western North was carved from Western Region, Oti from Volta, Bono East and Ahafo from Brong Ahafo, and Savannah and North East from Northern Region.
President Akufo-Addo presented the Constitutional Instruments to the chiefs from the regions, beginning from Tuesday, February 12, 2019, at the Jubilee House and ended on Friday , February 15, with the Oti Region.
The oresident reiterated his government’s pledge to invest in the development of the regions, saying GH¢20 million each has been set aside as seed fund for the six regions.
He assured the chiefs and people of the regions that developmental projects would be spread equitably and that governance would now be brought more closer to the people.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race For Knockout Stage Heats Up
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- My ex-staff now hawks tiger nuts; it breaks my heart – UT’s Amoabeng
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Ghanaians descend heavily on Anas following Sannie Daara legal knockout in human rights suit
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- We Don’t Begrudge Techiman, Whether Capital Or Not Nkoranza Will Develop ─Group
- Dr. Da Costa Applauds Gov’t over New Ambulances
- Chief Imam In London
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Ozil Ready To Frustrate Arsenal
- Family of late cop exposes Mahama over video showed to diplomats
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Gen. Mosquito, Ofosu-Ampofo, Ponkoh, run for cover as NDC meeting turns bloody
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- These 5 fuel stations have decreased their fuel prices despite the weak performance of the Ghanaian cedi
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK