Ghana’s New Administrative Regions
THE NUMBER of administrative regions in Ghana has finally increased from 10 to 16 following the successful presentations of the Constitutional Instruments (C I) on the creation of the six new regions.
The new regions are Oti, Western North, North East, Ahafo, Savannah and Bono East Regions.
Bono East’s capital is Techiman; Western North has Sefwi Wiaso; North East’s capital is Nalerigu and Savannah has Damongo as its capital. For Oti Region, Dambai was chosen by President Akufo-Addo as its capital.
The creations of the regions bring to an end decades of petitions calling for the formation of the regions.
The chiefs and people from the Oti Region, for instance, started demanding the creation of the region as far back as 1954, with the head of Western North delegation to the Jubilee House, President of the Western Regional House of Chiefs, Ogyeahohoo Yaw Gyebi II, lamenting that successive governments since the 1950s paid what he termed as lip-service to the creation of the Western North Region.
The six new regions were carved from four already existing regions, namely Brong Ahafo, which has been split into three; Northern Region, also split into three; Western Region and Volta Region.
Western North was carved from Western Region, Oti from Volta, Bono East and Ahafo from Brong Ahafo, and Savannah and North East from Northern Region.
President Akufo-Addo presented the Constitutional Instruments to the chiefs from the regions, beginning from Tuesday, February 12, 2019, at the Jubilee House and ended on Friday , February 15, with the Oti Region.
The oresident reiterated his government’s pledge to invest in the development of the regions, saying GH¢20 million each has been set aside as seed fund for the six regions.
He assured the chiefs and people of the regions that developmental projects would be spread equitably and that governance would now be brought more closer to the people.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Big Ups Stone, Keep Crashing Shatta Wale – Sam George
- Commey ready to ‘rock and roll’ against Beltran
- Ghana Standards Authority Takes Part in Building Code Forum
- Arrest James Agalga now over 4,000 guns – NPP Charges Security Agencies
- Edward Ameyibor’s funeral fixed for Friday, July 5
- Andre Ayew replaces Gyan as Black Stars substantive captain
- Monday rains flood Ayariga’s home, mess up Bentley, 7 other luxury cars
- CK Akonnor impressed with Yacouba's performance following return from injury
- NIA authorized registration at selected churches
- Police clash with Krobo residents over PDS mass disconnection exercise
- Its unfortunate Gyan has hanged his boot; lets respect his decision – Augustine Arhinful
- Terrorists Alert: 400 Burkinabes Screened At Tumu
- Help find cost effective ways to reclaim degraded land – Osafo Maafo
- Tree falls on parked vehicle at University of Ghana
- VFL-Ghana Takes Four Essay Winners On Field Trip
- Support SDG Delivery Fund - Akufo-Addo urges CEOs
- I'm happy at Atletico - Thomas Partey reveals amidst Arsenal interest
- Mass power cuts: Krobos clash with police, PDS staff
- Give a verdict on ambulances purchased under Mahama’s government – Segbefia to EOCO
- Minority joins anti-fascist, anti-Gestapo-style FM closure march
- Inflation Rate Shoots Up Slightly to 9.5 percent
- China to Construct Ultramodern Industrial City in Central Region
- Eastern Konnect congratulates MEGHISS for winning the International Robotics Festival competition
- Investing in the blue economy to accelerate sustainable development in Africa
- Normalization Committee vs Kwesi Nyantakyi; The Hypocrisy of Some Ghanaian Sports Journalists
- Businesses urged to invest in technology
- Stop bastardising EC; why didn't you raise hacking concerns when Charlotte was in office - Oppong Nkrumah
- 1-D-1-F: Government commissions Avocado Factory to employ 5,000 youth
- Asamoah Gyan announces Black Stars retirement
- GES denies charging teachers on new Kindergarten curriculum
- 2019 AFCON: Kwasi Appiah wants to name Andre Ayew Black Stars captain -Reports
- Manya: Youth clash with police over PDS disconnections
- Manya Krobo: Youth clash with police over PDS disconnections
- KIA terminal 3 floods after Monday rains
- President Akufo Addo Paves Way for Kpassa-Mama Akura Road Construction
- Chief Imam Lauds Twellium Company On 2nd Edition Of National Quran Recitation
- Set up special courts for financial cases – BOG boss
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan recuses himself from Black Stars ahead of 2019 AFCON
- Ayariga’s house flooded after Accra rains
- Kwesi Appiah failed to defend Gyan's axing at management meeting - Report
- 200 students benefit from GNPC Scholarship