PRESIDENT Akufo-Addo today, Friday February 15, 2019, announced Dambai as the capital of the newly created Oti Region.
That was when he presented the Constitutional Instrument (C I) that signifies the official creation of the Oti Region after six decades of pleas for the creation of the region.
The Oti Region has been carved out of the Volta Region following demands by chiefs and people since 1954, three years before Ghana gained independence from the British.
President Akufo-Addo could not end his statement about Dambai being the capital of the Oti Region when the chiefs and residents from the region who attended the ceremony held at the forecourt of the Jubilee House, the seat of government in Accra, started jumping into wild jubilation.
It was a moment of a dream come true for the residents and chiefs who could not hide their happiness about the establishment of the region.
President Akufo-Addo recounted how in 2016 as a presidential candidate of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) he visited the Volta Region and was confronted with the demand for the creation of the new region.
He said upon assuming power in 2017, he was petitioned on June 6 that year by the Joint Consultative Committee for the creation of the Oti Region to have the region created.
President Akufo-Addo said his government attaches seriousness to the development of the new region, assuring residents and chiefs of the area that development projects would be equitably spread.
He said a seven-member committee has been formed to oversee the development take-off of the Oti Region and that a seed fund of GH¢20 million has been devoted to the development of the region.
Ghana now has 16 regions following the earlier creations of Western North, North East, Savannah, Bono East, Ahafo Regions respectively.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race For Knockout Stage Heats Up
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- My ex-staff now hawks tiger nuts; it breaks my heart – UT’s Amoabeng
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Chief Imam In London
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- These 5 fuel stations have decreased their fuel prices despite the weak performance of the Ghanaian cedi
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- Ghana needs professional Police to ensure peace - Mrs Sackey
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary
- TNMA marks Independence Day celebration with grand parade
- Kasena-Nankana West District Assembly to prosecute households without toilet facilities
- Statement Of Appreciation From NPP BA Regional Youth
- Omni, Sahel Sahara banks merger completed