John Dramani Mahama
Plans by former President John Dramani Mahama to contest the 2020 election has hit the snug following a suit against his bid to represent the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) should he win the primaries.
In a suit filed at an Accra High Court, one Stephen Agyeman is challenging the constitutionality of Mr. Mahama’s bid to re-assume the highest political office of the country having lost the 2016 general elections miserably.
According to the plaintiff, Mr. Mahama has enjoyed some privileges as former President and raising funds to support his bid for re-election without Parliamentary approval violates the 1992 Constitution.
He is therefore praying the court to declare that John Mahama is not qualified to stand for re-election as president of the country.
Mr. Agyeman in his suit avers that Mr. Mahama “cannot purport to seek re-election as President of the Republic of Ghana” pursuant to Articles 68 clauses 2 to 9 of the Constitution.
He is thus, seeking “A declaration that pursuant to Article 66 (1) and 66 (2) of the 1992 Constitution, the defendant is not qualified as a candidate to stand for re-election as President of the Republic of Ghana on the ticket of the National Democratic Congress.”
He is also seeking a declaration that Mr. Mahama’s establishment of a campaign office to coordinate his bid for re-election amounts to “an office of emolument or profit within the context of Article 68 (2) of the 1992 Constitution and same having been established without parliamentary permission is in contravention of Article 68 (2) of the 1992 Constitution.”
Former President Mahama lost the 2016 election President Nana Akufo-Addo by over one million, the first time a sitting President to lost to an opposition by such margin.
Mr. Mahama has since the miserable loss decided to contest the 2020 election on the tickets of the NDC.
The NDC is set to organise its primaries on February 23, 2019 to elect a flagbearer for the party for the 2020 election.
But there are some political analysts who have questioned the motive of the former President’s intensions to contest for the country’s highest office after the lost.
There are some who have accused him of desperation, calling his re-election bid a political gymnastics just to proof a point.
Some prominent members of his own party, including some of his former appointees have kicked against the likely choice of ex-president Mahama as National Democratic Congress (NDC) presidential candidate for the 2020 general election.
He has also come under fire for his marching the ruling NPP boot-for-boot comment in the aftermath of the violence that characterised the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election.
BY Gibril Abdul Razak
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race For Knockout Stage Heats Up
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- My ex-staff now hawks tiger nuts; it breaks my heart – UT’s Amoabeng
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Chief Imam In London
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- These 5 fuel stations have decreased their fuel prices despite the weak performance of the Ghanaian cedi
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- Ghana needs professional Police to ensure peace - Mrs Sackey
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary
- TNMA marks Independence Day celebration with grand parade
- Kasena-Nankana West District Assembly to prosecute households without toilet facilities
- Statement Of Appreciation From NPP BA Regional Youth
- Omni, Sahel Sahara banks merger completed