Dr. Stephen Opuni
There was an unexpected turn of events in the trial of the former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD), Dr. Stephen Opuni and businessman Seidu Agongo, as the defence lawyers clashed with the trial judge.
There was ‘heated’ argument between Samuel Codjoe, lawyer for Dr. Opuni; Benson Nutsukpui, lead counsel for Seidu Agongo and the trial judge, Justice Clemence Honyenugah, over the length of the cross-examination of the state’s second witness.
In the beginning of yesterday’s proceedings, the judge admonished Mr. Nutsukpui to speed up his cross-examination of the second prosecution witness to allow the state to call its next witness.
The prosecution, led by the Director of Public Prosecutions, Yvonne Attakora-Obuobisa, presented the witness box to give his evidence-in-chief about four months ago.
The second witness, Dr. Alfred Arthur, who is a soil scientist at the Cocoa Research Institute Ghana (CRIG), entered the witness box on October 29, 2018 and is still under cross-examination.
This informed the judge’s decision to admonish the defence lawyer to speed up the cross-examination.
But this did not go down well with the defence lawyers, who suggested that the judge was trying to speed up proceedings.
Benson Nutsukpui, therefore, demanded that the judge’s statement be put on record, but the judge said it was just a piece of advice which must not be recorded.
Samuel Codjoe then stood up and accused the judge of doing same to him when he was cross-examining the witness.
The argument lasted for almost 20 minutes and the judge, who was not happy with Samuel Codjoe’s constant interjections of “I want to add my voice” told him to stop “showing off” in his court.
At a point, the judge also asked Mr. Codjoe not to “put words” in his mouth.
The argument finally subsided and Benson Nutsukpui continued with his cross-examination of the witness.
The former COCOBOD boss, who is a chieftain of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), has been dragged before court together with one Seidu Agongo, a businessman and CEO of Agricult Ghana Limited.
The two are facing a total of 27 charges, including defrauding by false pretense, willfully causing financial loss to the state, money laundering, corruption by a public officer and contravention of the Public Procurement Act.
Dr. Opuni is being accused of “abetting Mr. Agongo and Agricult Ghana Ltd to defraud COCOBOD the sum of GH¢43,120,000 between January 2014 and November 2014.
By Gibril Abdul Razak
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race For Knockout Stage Heats Up
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- My ex-staff now hawks tiger nuts; it breaks my heart – UT’s Amoabeng
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Ghanaians descend heavily on Anas following Sannie Daara legal knockout in human rights suit
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- Dr. Da Costa Applauds Gov’t over New Ambulances
- Ozil Ready To Frustrate Arsenal
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Family of late cop exposes Mahama over video showed to diplomats
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Gen. Mosquito, Ofosu-Ampofo, Ponkoh, run for cover as NDC meeting turns bloody
- Chief Imam In London
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- These 5 fuel stations have decreased their fuel prices despite the weak performance of the Ghanaian cedi
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary