Jean Mensa – Chairperson of EC
The Youth Bridge Foundation has called on the Electoral Commission (EC) to publish all pre-election activities towards the 2020 general elections.
The foundation is also calling on the EC to avoid crash timetable in order to ensure clarity and certainty in the minds of the commission and all election stakeholders regarding what must be done before election.
The foundation made the call on the EC in a press release signed by Prof. Ransford Gyampo, Ag. Head of Youth Bridge Foundation.
According to him, the EC engages itself in a number of activities, including voter registration, exhibition of voters’ register, creation of constituencies, among others, which tend to overstretch the capacity of the commission to successfully undertake and accomplish all its pre-election activities prior to the general elections.
“Sometimes, certain key activities are undertaken in a rush and at the time when key participants or target groups are unavailable. Key electoral activities have been held in predominantly student dominated areas at the time when students were on vacation,” he explained.
Prof. Gyampo indicated that serious election-related decisions and activities have been undertaken in the heat of the electioneering campaign when political parties are busy touring the country and campaigning, adding that “these have created needless suspicion and misunderstanding between the commission and its major stakeholders.”
“We, therefore, urge the commission to publish well defined programme outline with timeline to ensure certainty in the implementation of its activities,” he averred.
Prof. Gyampo said the commission must not wait till the eleventh hour to rush through implementation, as things done in a rush are susceptible to costly mistakes, and are a recipe for distrust, tension and the raising of needless alarms over minor issues that could ideally pass without qualms.
“We finally wish to remind the commission that the need to publish well-defined timelines to guide all pre-election activities and to avoid the implementation of programmes in a rash was part of the major recommendations for electoral reform accepted by the commission, we therefore urge the commission to act now to avoid rush,” he added.
By Abigail Owiredu-Boateng
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race For Knockout Stage Heats Up
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- My ex-staff now hawks tiger nuts; it breaks my heart – UT’s Amoabeng
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Ghanaians descend heavily on Anas following Sannie Daara legal knockout in human rights suit
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- Dr. Da Costa Applauds Gov’t over New Ambulances
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- Ozil Ready To Frustrate Arsenal
- Family of late cop exposes Mahama over video showed to diplomats
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Gen. Mosquito, Ofosu-Ampofo, Ponkoh, run for cover as NDC meeting turns bloody
- Chief Imam In London
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- These 5 fuel stations have decreased their fuel prices despite the weak performance of the Ghanaian cedi
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary