First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo, during an inspection of the interior of the mobile library vans.
First Lady Rebecca Akufo-Addo has declared 2019 as the ‘Year of Reading’, stressing that knowledge can only be acquired through reading.
Speaking at the launch of activities to kick-start the ‘Year of Reading’ by Ghana Library Authority (GLA), Mrs. Akufo-Addo said, “We have no option as a country than to reignite the reading culture in our dear country for the progress we wish for.”
She indicated that in a growing competitive world, life-long learning which can be acquired through the habit of reading has become the only way to grow intellectually and build wealth of knowledge.
The first lady observed that studies have revealed that many children in sub-Saharan Africa struggle at the lower primary level to read in the official or any local language, and instances where someone is able read, they do not understand what they read.
“We must build the culture of reading so as to promote socio-economic and human resource development,” she stated.
The theme: ‘Reading For Progress’, Mrs. Akufo-Addo said, resonates with The Rebecca Foundation’s work over the last few years.
Last year, the foundation launched the ‘Read To Learn, Learn To Read’ project with two prone approaches of building libraries and undertaking reading sessions with children for television transmission.
The project demonstrates the importance of reading in building the human capital required for the growth of all sectors of the economy.
The first library under the project is expected to be ready and handed over to the Ghana Library Authority to be part of its network of libraries around the country to enable children of the community of Bia in the Western Region to benefit from the enormous resources that would be available.
“My foundation is committed to supporting the Library Authority to increase its geographical footprint in the country and will continue to work towards it,” the first lady assured.
Mrs. Akufo-Addo relaunched the mobile library service for the southern sector of the country, opened the new acquisition and the expanded book processing unit and unveiled the various books and materials that would support the ‘Year of Reading’ agenda into the future.
By Jamila Akweley Okertchiri
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race For Knockout Stage Heats Up
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- My ex-staff now hawks tiger nuts; it breaks my heart – UT’s Amoabeng
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Ghanaians descend heavily on Anas following Sannie Daara legal knockout in human rights suit
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- Chief Imam In London
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Dr. Da Costa Applauds Gov’t over New Ambulances
- We Don’t Begrudge Techiman, Whether Capital Or Not Nkoranza Will Develop ─Group
- Ozil Ready To Frustrate Arsenal
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Family of late cop exposes Mahama over video showed to diplomats
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Gen. Mosquito, Ofosu-Ampofo, Ponkoh, run for cover as NDC meeting turns bloody
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- These 5 fuel stations have decreased their fuel prices despite the weak performance of the Ghanaian cedi
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK