Joy FM has reportedly apologised to Deputy Education Minister Dr. Yaw Adutwum for attributing false statements to him regarding the privatisation of some public basic schools in Ghana.
Dr. Adutwum briefed journalists on Thursday in Accra about the retraction of the misleading story and subsequent apology rendered to him by Joy FM.
In an apology document he submitted to journalists, the management of Joy FM purportedly said, “We wish to apologise to Deputy Education Minister, Dr. Yaw Adutwum for attributing to him, statements relating to the privatisation of some public schools which he did not make.”
Joy FM added in the document that “the error was inadvertent and we duly apologise unreservedly.
The story by Joy FM was on the Ghana Partnerships Schools (GPS) initiative and according to the deputy minister, it had claimed that he and the Education Ministry had blamed teachers for poor learning outcomes.
That was after Dr. Adutwum had granted an interview to Joy FM.
Teachers became angry following the story and the Ghana National Education Campaign Coalition (GNECC) held a press conference to drum home its dissatisfaction.
He said, ” However, after my attention had been drawn by the ministry to the erroneous story, the Joy FM retracted its claim and duly apologised for wrongly attributing any such claim to me.”
He added that “this is a matter of public record and a copy of the official retraction is right here with me for your perusal.”
Dr. Adutwum raised a copy of the retraction as he cleared the air on the matter.
He pointed out that “we wish to make it clear that we have the utmost respect for teachers and the work they do in this country, and would not in any circumstances seek to denigrate them.”
“No official from the Ministry of Education or its agencies has ever blamed teachers for poor learning outcomes, ” he emphasized.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Ghana Standards Authority Takes Part in Building Code Forum
- NIA authorized registration at selected churches
- I used Juju to score Kotoko, but I didn’t sleep that night – Emmanuel Armah 'Senegal' reveals
- Big Ups Stone, Keep Crashing Shatta Wale – Sam George
- Kwesi Appiah failed to defend Gyan's axing at management meeting - Report
- Monday rains flood Ayariga’s home, mess up Bentley, 7 other luxury cars
- Arrest James Agalga now over 4,000 guns – NPP Charges Security Agencies
- CK Akonnor impressed with Yacouba's performance following return from injury
- Commey ready to ‘rock and roll’ against Beltran
- Edward Ameyibor’s funeral fixed for Friday, July 5
- Andre Ayew replaces Gyan as Black Stars substantive captain
- AFCON 2019: Why seek help from T.B Joshua when Owusu Bempah is in Ghana? – Bonsam
- Police clash with Krobo residents over PDS mass disconnection exercise
- Its unfortunate Gyan has hanged his boot; lets respect his decision – Augustine Arhinful
- Mass power cuts: Krobos clash with police, PDS staff
- Ghanaian goalkeeper Zion Suzuki to represent Japan at FIFA U-20 World Cup
- Terrorists Alert: 400 Burkinabes Screened At Tumu
- 1-D-1-F: Government commissions Avocado Factory to employ 5,000 youth
- Help find cost effective ways to reclaim degraded land – Osafo Maafo
- Tree falls on parked vehicle at University of Ghana
- Ayariga’s house flooded after Accra rains
- President Akufo-Addo orders Asamoah Gyan to rescind retirement decision
- 200 students benefit from GNPC Scholarship
- VFL-Ghana Takes Four Essay Winners On Field Trip
- Businesses urged to invest in technology
- Support SDG Delivery Fund - Akufo-Addo urges CEOs
- Minority joins anti-fascist, anti-Gestapo-style FM closure march
- KIA terminal 3 floods after Monday rains
- Ghana's 2019 Afcon squad: Five players snubbed by Kwesi Appiah
- Chief Imam Lauds Twellium Company On 2nd Edition Of National Quran Recitation
- Eastern Konnect congratulates MEGHISS for winning the International Robotics Festival competition
- GES denies charging teachers on new Kindergarten curriculum
- I'm happy at Atletico - Thomas Partey reveals amidst Arsenal interest
- Give a verdict on ambulances purchased under Mahama’s government – Segbefia to EOCO
- Set up special courts for financial cases – BOG boss
- Asamoah Gyan announces Black Stars retirement
- Inflation Rate Shoots Up Slightly to 9.5 percent
- China to Construct Ultramodern Industrial City in Central Region
- President Akufo Addo Paves Way for Kpassa-Mama Akura Road Construction
- Investing in the blue economy to accelerate sustainable development in Africa
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan recuses himself from Black Stars ahead of 2019 AFCON