Ghana’s stock of public debt increased to GH¢ 205.6 billion at the end of July 2019.
The amount represent a debt-to-GDP rate of 59.4 percent, compared with 53.1 percent of GDP (GH¢159.7 billion) at the end of July 2018.
Governor of the Bank of Ghana (BoG) Dr. Ernest Addison, made this known to the media on Friday, September 20, 2019, at a press conference in Accra.
He was briefing the media on decisions taken and observations made at the BoG’s Monetary Policy Committee’s 90th meeting.
Of the total debt stock, he revealed, domestic debt was GH¢98.4 billion (28.4 percent of GDP), of which GH¢10.7 billion (3.1 percent of GDP) represented bonds issued to support the financial sector clean-up, while external debt was
GH¢107.2 billion (31.0 percent of GDP).
He indicated that Growth in broad money (M2+) has slowed considerably in the first eight months of 2019, partly reflecting continuing tight monetary policy stance.
“Annual growth in M2+ was estimated at 11.8 percent at end August 2019 compared to 23.1 percent in the same period of 2018,” according to the Governor.
The slower growth in total liquidity mainly reflected sharp moderation in Net Foreign Assets, he stated.
” Annual growth in Reserve Money was 15.0 percent in August 2019, marginally up from 14.2 percent annual growth in the same period of last year,” Dr. Addison said.
Private Sector Credit
According to him, private sector credit growth has moderated slightly after peaking at percent in March 2019 as credit conditions tightened marginally.
Annual growth in private sector credit was 13.4 percent in August 2019, compared with 15.8 percent growth in the same period of 2018, he reported, adding that in real terms, private sector credit expanded by 5.2 percent.
“The recent credit conditions survey indicated some tightening of credit stance on loans to enterprises and households despite increased demand for loans as banks continued to improve their credit risk management systems,” he noted.
“Money market rates have broadly remained unchanged for both
short-dated and long-dated instruments since the last MPC meeting,” he added.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Shatta Bandle shows off his footballing skills to challenge Adebayor (Watch)
- SDA pastor accused of sleeping with multiple women under pretext of marrying them
- Two arrested in Accra for allegedly manufacturing guns, explosives
- 12 soldiers grabbed in foiled coup plot
- SHS placement brouhaha: IT expert exposes weaknesses in CSSPS
- Gov’t confirms discovery of Bombs and guns factory; arrest of Dr Mac-Palm others
- Prof Amartey and Dr Wyns-Dogbe adjudged Marketing Personalities of the year
- I wasn’t surprised my husband was overthrown - Limann’s Wife
- Ghana traders cry foul as Nigeria shuts borders to ECOWAS countries
- These are the 5 most powerful militaries in Africa in 2019
- ‘Asantehene hates Mahama’ – Pro-NDC group
- These 5 international airports are currently the fastest growing in the world and handled more than 250,000 metric tonnes of cargo in 2018
- 86 people graduate under Caterpillar's Technicians for Africa Project
- 5 casual looks from Jackie Appiah every Ghanaian girl must imitate
- No more expiry of voice, data bundles – Telcos ordered
- Powerful photo of late Major Mahama's wife and kids pop up; sons look just like their dad
- Mahama ‘runs’ to Otumfuo over defeat concession controversy
- 16-year-old Gilbert Otyeng crawls 6km daily to school
- ‘Stop living double standards to win corruption fight’ - Father Amissah
- Alleged Coup Plot: Suspects Planned To Kidnap Akufo-Addo, Bawumia — Baako
- Who are they married to? - Here are 10 Ghanaian celebs who keep their love life away from the public
- Former Black Stars striker Junior Agogo cremated in London
- “The Good, The Bad And The Ugly” Side Of Antibiotics
- Princess Shyngle’s boyfriend proposes to her in America with an expensive ring (watch)
- CSE is ‘satanic’ and we'll not hesitate to walk our children out of classrooms - Rev. Dr. Frimpong Manso
- 8th time lucky: Central Bank of Kenya saves Kenyans from expensive loans and retains lending rate at 9.0% for the eighth time in a row
- Any poor pastor who blesses you is releasing poverty on you - Badu Kobi asserts
- When Pastors Learn From Jesus (4)
- Akufo-Addo Gov't To Close Down Power FM Too?
- 3 alleged coup plotters set for court today
- Banking cleanup: Bawumia was right, BOG saved 4.6m depositors’ funds
- Underestimating The Meek And Gentle
- Sanitation Crisis Looms As Mudor Treatment Plant Faces Shutdown
- 2020 polls: I’m coming with full force – Ayariga
- Jordan Ayew scores late winner after VAR drama
- Gov’t Not Introducing Negative Sex Education To Kids – Akufo-Addo
- Gov’t to constitute 17-member Council to oversee Ghana Beyond Aid implementation
- Germany, UK Deport 22 Ghanaian Men For Offences
- Meet the 14-year-old prostitute who is pregnant for her own father
- You should know better – John Jinapor to Education Minister
- We’ll respond to shareholders of collapsed banks - Oppong Nkrumah
- 3 Women Sweep 2019 Best Teacher Awards