Senior journalists being briefed about the operations of the Lavender Hill Faecal Treatment Plant
Residents in Ghana’s capital, Accra, risk experiencing sanitation crisis in their homes and offices as management of the Mudor Treatment Plant threatens to shutdown the Plant due to funding challenges.
After three years of self-financing, the operations of the Plant, belonging to the Jospong Group of Companies, has threatened to close down the plant in the event that the Ghanaian Government fails to sign a contract with the company, to ensure that some financial commitment is made by the State towards the running of the plant.
The Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development is said to be the State institution required to enter into a contract with Mudor.
The management of the plant had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the State before the commencement of operations and have had to be hoping for the past three years to have a contract signed.
Mudor Treatment Plant
The Mudor Treatment Plant was launched in 2017 and provides liquid waste treatment services to several homes in Accra.
It has a capacity of about 18,000 cubic feet and is believed to be the largest of its kind in Accra operating the defunt sewerage system.
It remains unclear how much funding amount the company is seeking from the State or Government but Business Development and Communication Manager of Sewerage Systems Ghana Limited, a subsidiary of Jospong Group, Lola Asiseh Ashitey, says the Plant would be shutdown if negotiations with Government for the contract do not yield positive results.
She served the notice as she addressed senior journalists during a site tour to Mudor, the Lavender Hill Faecal Treatment Plant, the Accra Waste Recycling Plant, Zoompak, on Saturday, October 5, 2019.
According to Ms. Asiseh Ashitey, the consequences of the shutdown, would be among other things, pipes going back into homes and leading to faeces entering homes.
Areas that have sewer networks will be affected as water will not flow, she revealed.
The pipes will go back into the systems and people will have faeces in their homes, she stressed.
Work is going on and we should be paid for the works that we do.
Asked about the timeline for the closure of the Plant, she retorted “right now we are putting our all into it, Our last that we have into running the Plant, just when we are exhausted everything in all, we will be left with no other option than to shutdown the Plant.”
She indicated that the company has notified its stakeholders about the impending closure.
“We have to treat our wastes and treatment comes with payment,” she charged.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Shatta Bandle shows off his footballing skills to challenge Adebayor (Watch)
- SDA pastor accused of sleeping with multiple women under pretext of marrying them
- Two arrested in Accra for allegedly manufacturing guns, explosives
- 12 soldiers grabbed in foiled coup plot
- SHS placement brouhaha: IT expert exposes weaknesses in CSSPS
- Gov’t confirms discovery of Bombs and guns factory; arrest of Dr Mac-Palm others
- Prof Amartey and Dr Wyns-Dogbe adjudged Marketing Personalities of the year
- I wasn’t surprised my husband was overthrown - Limann’s Wife
- Ghana traders cry foul as Nigeria shuts borders to ECOWAS countries
- These are the 5 most powerful militaries in Africa in 2019
- These 5 international airports are currently the fastest growing in the world and handled more than 250,000 metric tonnes of cargo in 2018
- 86 people graduate under Caterpillar's Technicians for Africa Project
- ‘Asantehene hates Mahama’ – Pro-NDC group
- 5 casual looks from Jackie Appiah every Ghanaian girl must imitate
- No more expiry of voice, data bundles – Telcos ordered
- Powerful photo of late Major Mahama's wife and kids pop up; sons look just like their dad
- Mahama ‘runs’ to Otumfuo over defeat concession controversy
- 16-year-old Gilbert Otyeng crawls 6km daily to school
- ‘Stop living double standards to win corruption fight’ - Father Amissah
- Alleged Coup Plot: Suspects Planned To Kidnap Akufo-Addo, Bawumia — Baako
- Who are they married to? - Here are 10 Ghanaian celebs who keep their love life away from the public
- Former Black Stars striker Junior Agogo cremated in London
- “The Good, The Bad And The Ugly” Side Of Antibiotics
- Princess Shyngle’s boyfriend proposes to her in America with an expensive ring (watch)
- CSE is ‘satanic’ and we'll not hesitate to walk our children out of classrooms - Rev. Dr. Frimpong Manso
- 8th time lucky: Central Bank of Kenya saves Kenyans from expensive loans and retains lending rate at 9.0% for the eighth time in a row
- Any poor pastor who blesses you is releasing poverty on you - Badu Kobi asserts
- When Pastors Learn From Jesus (4)
- 3 alleged coup plotters set for court today
- Akufo-Addo Gov't To Close Down Power FM Too?
- Banking cleanup: Bawumia was right, BOG saved 4.6m depositors’ funds
- Underestimating The Meek And Gentle
- 2020 polls: I’m coming with full force – Ayariga
- Sanitation Crisis Looms As Mudor Treatment Plant Faces Shutdown
- Jordan Ayew scores late winner after VAR drama
- Gov’t Not Introducing Negative Sex Education To Kids – Akufo-Addo
- Gov’t to constitute 17-member Council to oversee Ghana Beyond Aid implementation
- Germany, UK Deport 22 Ghanaian Men For Offences
- Meet the 14-year-old prostitute who is pregnant for her own father
- You should know better – John Jinapor to Education Minister
- We’ll respond to shareholders of collapsed banks - Oppong Nkrumah
- At Last An Action On Plastics