President Nana Akufo-Addo
President Nana Akufo-Addo has denied that his administration is pushing hard to introduce negative sexuality education to young students through the Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) curriculum.
According to him, the CSE was introduced in 2015 under the former President John Mahama’s administration.
He stated that the current management of the Education Ministry decided to review the policy and that after the review, it was forwarded to Cabinet.
The President noted that “when the new guidelines were brought to cabinet, they did not pass the cultural sensitivity test.”
He said it was decided that whatever sex education is undertaken in schools must be done within the Ghanaian cultural context.
That decision was made in March in 2019, he noted.
The President made the disclosure when he met with some members of the Clergy on Sunday in Accra.
According to him, after the CSE curriculum, in its current form was rejected, the Ghana Education Service (GSE), wrote to those who are responsible for making up the curriculum to insist on making the Ghanaian cultural context to be the basis for the CSE.
He said GES wrote to those in charge of the curriculum in April 2019.
He indicated that GES informed them that words in the curriculum should be within the acceptable cultural values and norms of the Ghanaian Culture.
None of our children who are now in kindergarten and primary schools are being taught what is being alleged, he said.
There is nothing in the new curriculum that comes anywhere near what are being said on social media, he noted.
Whilst I am President, there will not be talks, discussions in our schools about anything negative that comes under Comprehensive Sexual Education, he assured.
There has been controversy over the introduction of the new CSE curriculum, with some Ghanaians, especially the clergy and child rights groups rejecting the curriculum.
But Mr. Akufo-Addo observed that there were deliberate falsehoods being peddled about the CSE on social media by some individuals with political interest.
He challenged the clergy to verify the claims themselves.
He noted that the reason for introducing SHS was to equip Ghanaian children to compete with their peers from around the world in the 21st century and not to pollute their minds.
Educational policies are not made by NGOs, not made on social media and political parties, he said.
He stated that educational policies are made by Government and assured that as long as he remains President, nothing deleterious will pass through the educational system.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Shatta Bandle shows off his footballing skills to challenge Adebayor (Watch)
- SDA pastor accused of sleeping with multiple women under pretext of marrying them
- Two arrested in Accra for allegedly manufacturing guns, explosives
- 12 soldiers grabbed in foiled coup plot
- SHS placement brouhaha: IT expert exposes weaknesses in CSSPS
- Gov’t confirms discovery of Bombs and guns factory; arrest of Dr Mac-Palm others
- Prof Amartey and Dr Wyns-Dogbe adjudged Marketing Personalities of the year
- I wasn’t surprised my husband was overthrown - Limann’s Wife
- Ghana traders cry foul as Nigeria shuts borders to ECOWAS countries
- These are the 5 most powerful militaries in Africa in 2019
- ‘Asantehene hates Mahama’ – Pro-NDC group
- These 5 international airports are currently the fastest growing in the world and handled more than 250,000 metric tonnes of cargo in 2018
- 86 people graduate under Caterpillar's Technicians for Africa Project
- 5 casual looks from Jackie Appiah every Ghanaian girl must imitate
- No more expiry of voice, data bundles – Telcos ordered
- Powerful photo of late Major Mahama's wife and kids pop up; sons look just like their dad
- Mahama ‘runs’ to Otumfuo over defeat concession controversy
- 16-year-old Gilbert Otyeng crawls 6km daily to school
- ‘Stop living double standards to win corruption fight’ - Father Amissah
- Alleged Coup Plot: Suspects Planned To Kidnap Akufo-Addo, Bawumia — Baako
- Who are they married to? - Here are 10 Ghanaian celebs who keep their love life away from the public
- Former Black Stars striker Junior Agogo cremated in London
- “The Good, The Bad And The Ugly” Side Of Antibiotics
- Princess Shyngle’s boyfriend proposes to her in America with an expensive ring (watch)
- CSE is ‘satanic’ and we'll not hesitate to walk our children out of classrooms - Rev. Dr. Frimpong Manso
- 8th time lucky: Central Bank of Kenya saves Kenyans from expensive loans and retains lending rate at 9.0% for the eighth time in a row
- Any poor pastor who blesses you is releasing poverty on you - Badu Kobi asserts
- When Pastors Learn From Jesus (4)
- Akufo-Addo Gov't To Close Down Power FM Too?
- 3 alleged coup plotters set for court today
- Banking cleanup: Bawumia was right, BOG saved 4.6m depositors’ funds
- Underestimating The Meek And Gentle
- Sanitation Crisis Looms As Mudor Treatment Plant Faces Shutdown
- 2020 polls: I’m coming with full force – Ayariga
- Jordan Ayew scores late winner after VAR drama
- Gov’t Not Introducing Negative Sex Education To Kids – Akufo-Addo
- Gov’t to constitute 17-member Council to oversee Ghana Beyond Aid implementation
- Germany, UK Deport 22 Ghanaian Men For Offences
- Meet the 14-year-old prostitute who is pregnant for her own father
- You should know better – John Jinapor to Education Minister
- We’ll respond to shareholders of collapsed banks - Oppong Nkrumah
- 3 Women Sweep 2019 Best Teacher Awards