- Ghana's banking sector has some amazing CEOs.
- These CEOs have led their banks even in the challenging times the sector faced recently.
- Others have won awards and positioned their banks in better places than they met it.
The banking sector in Ghana has gone through some reforms and challenging moments in a few years past.
A number of banks had their licences revoked while others also merged due to financial reasons. Some also winded up and signed assumption agreement with other banks.
Despite the challenging times faced by the banks, some have prevailed and are still doing business in the country. Some of these banks are said to have great Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) or Managing Directors (MD) who are spearheading innovations and making their banks more customer friendly among others.
Some of the CEOs by these factors and more have proven to be great leaders. The criteria for choosing the coolest CEOs include the ranking of their banks, awards won by the CEOs and public perception of the leaders of the banks.
Below are 10 of the coolest bank CEOs in Ghana.
1. Alhassan Andani
In May 2018 the Managing Director of Stanbic bank was enskined as the Chief of Pishigu in the Northern Region.
Pishigu is a farming community in the North and the traditional town's skin is the preserve for the sons and grandsons of Yaa-Naa. Mr Andani now bears the skin name PISHI-NAA Alhassan Andani.
At the maiden edition of the Ghana Industry CEO awards in 2018, Alhassan Andani was adjudged the best CEO, Banking Sector.
Mr Andani has become one of the leading voices in the sector, offering direction and expertise when required. He has gained local and international repute as an astute banker and financial expert.
2. Mansa Nettey
She is the first female CEO to be appointed by Standard Chartered Bank Ghana.
She serves on the Board of Directors at Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria Limited and on the Standard Chartered Bank Ghana Limited board as an Executive Director.
She is not only into banking, but she is also the founder of the Leukemia Project Foundation in Ghana. It was set up after she battled with leukaemia for some years.
3. Isong A. Udom
Udom's appointment as UBA CEO took effect on January 1, 2019. Even before he could assume office, most of the workers were happy to have him as their boss.
His predecessor Mrs Abiola Awuah said that Udom has a deserved, enviable experience and track record in banking with key strengths in Corporate and Commercial Banking, spanning about three (3) decades across various countries in West and Central Africa. We have a tremendous opportunity to grow the business further and to exceed the expectations of our customers. We will support him and complement
4. Henry Oroh
The CEO of Zenith bank has won some local and international accolades and most recently was adjudged the Best Banking CEO Ghana, 2017 by the International Finance Magazine as well as Corporate Personality of the Year at the West Africa Business Excellence Awards 2018.
With a strong passion for the growth of the brand in Ghana, Henry has been instrumental in the development and implementation of strategies as well as innovative banking products and services which have been very much part of the Bank’s success story both locally and internationally.
5. Frank B. Adu Jnr
Frank Brako Adu is the CEO of CAL Bank. However, he also wears many hats. He holds the position of Chairman for Golden Beach Hotels Ltd. and is also Chairman for The Roman Ridge School and Council Member at University College of Agriculture & Environments and on the board of 7 other companies.
He won the prestigious African Banker of the year award at a ceremony held in Sandton, South Africa in 2018. In addition, he was inducted into Africa’s CEOs Hall of Fame for 2018 for his role in shaping the banking industry
6. Ray Sowah
Ray Sowah is the Managing Director of GCB Bank.
He has been a Banker in the City of London for 30 years and has worked extensively in the erstwhile Ghana Commercial Bank London Branch and other banks in London.
It is during his tenure that GCB Bank took over 2 indigenous banks. Some of the workers were laid off and some branches were also closed down. During this time Mr Sowah handled all the issues arising from the take over to the appreciation of many. Under his tenure, the bank also has plans of expanding to other African countries to do business.
He is a commercially astute Business Banker & Lawyer with a consistent record of success in optimising the market, revenue,
7. Daniel Addo
He is the CEO of the second biggest largest bank in Ghana.
The bank was formed in 2018 after the Bank of Ghana took over five Ghanaian banks.
After the formation of the new bank, Mr Addo has also said that the bank is prepared to transform the country’s banking sector with technology led a customer-centric approach.
In his short administration, he has boosted the confidence of the bank's customers and also put in measures for the bank to grow.
8. Dr John Kofi Mensah
He officially took office as MD for Agricultural Development Bank (ADB) on August 1, 2017.
Soon after he took office there were speculations that ADB was merging with another bank. This caused great panic among customers and workers alike.
Dr Mensah handled the matter carefully in order not to lose customer trust.
When it also looked like ADB would not meet the December 31, 2018, Minimum Capital Requirement, Dr Mensah allayed the fears of their customers while he worked hard to ensure they met it.
9. Kristen Ifeanyi Njoku
He has been CEO of Access bank for a little over 7 months. His job as CEO took effect on June 28, 2018. As CEO, he is expected to will lead the Bank to execute its new five-year strategic objective and ensure the Bank’s growth across all its operations in Ghana.
10. Daniel Sackey
Ecobank Transnational Incorporated (ETI) appointed Dan Sackey as Managing Director of its Ghanaian subsidiary, Ecobank Ghana, and Regional Executive for Anglophone West Africa.
He joined the firm in 1995 as a risk analyst in the corporate banking division of Ecobank Ghana.
He has risen through the ranks and also managed Ecobank Ghana well since he took over.
Vote for this ArticleSpread the word
Article tagsNo tags for this article
About the Author: Dan Soko
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Here are the capitals of the newly created regions
- Ahmed Suale Came To My House Jittering—Nyantakyi
- National Folklore Board Signs Contract To Protect Folklore
- "It's a joy to see my two sons playing for Bayern and Barcelona"- KP Boateng' father
- 'I condemn Nana B for slapping Sammy Gyamfi' - Failed NPP Youth Organizer
- You Have Surprised Me, Ex-President Mahama!
- Menaye shades Asamoah Gyan with photo of Muntari and son plus 'DNA' caption
- Date For 2019 BECE Revised
- Manasseh Azure Awuni exposes corrupt female appointee at Jubilee House
- Police Administration reshuffles senior officers
- Why There Will Not Be Another Biafra
- This is how angry man punished rat for chewing his phone charger
- Step mum who left boy’s hand to rot after cutting it sentenced
- Asamoah Gyan is a disgrace; must be ashamed of himself now – Ghanaians
- FLASHBACK: I'll die for NAM 1 because of his money - Willi Roi
- VIDEO: Anokye Supremo’s body finally arrives in Ghana
- Shatta Wale and Andy Dosty go on a twitter war - both threaten each other for digging their own graves
- I did not justify 'bloody widow' placards – Sam George sets record straight
- Takoradi: Audio Tape Exposes Arrested Kidnapper
- The Oracle Played A Game Of Chess In Dagbon With The Rise Of Naa Abubakari Mahama (Naa Gariba II)
- Hear Ye the Truth, the Family of the Late Tiger Eye PI Journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale
- 3 reasons why a first degree is not valued in Ghana anymore
- Nkoranza NPP youth defect to NDC over Techiman capital
- Huge Crowd At Agyarko’s Funeral
- Police Make Headway In Anas Boy’s Murder
- Bawumia Attends World Economic Forum
- Concerned Police Officer Writes To The President
- Asabke Breaks Down In Court, Afoko Expresses Outrage
- LIVE UPDATES: Ghana vs Mali (U-20 AFCON)
- FLASHBACK: Jesus' second coming may never happen – Willi Roi
- I exchanged phones with Okyeame Kwame for a week – wife reveals
- Kevin-Prince Boateng and wife Melissa Satta file for divorce
- Ahead Of 2020 Elections: NPP Activist Dares Mahama To Put His Family At The Battlefront
- GES Directive For WR School Heads
- Chantelle Asante rocks her baby bump on Instagram!
- Significance of Nana Addo’s yellow smock at Yaa-Naa’s investiture explained
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Dies In Car Crash Few Days To Her Wedding
- Public Workers To Enjoy Digitised Payments From July
- Volta Region Erupts For John Mahama
- Kotoko Shops For Holding Midfielder
- Corporal Punishment: Compliance On Ban Needs More Than ‘Threat’ Of Sanction
- Ghana Post MD, New Board Members Meet Asantehene Otumfuo