The lady who is the last child out of five revealed how she worked hard to become the first black PhD holder in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Saskatchewan.
Read her interesting story...
As the 5th child of 5, I always had to wait for my turn.
I was the last, a girl child and raised by a mother who is farmer and a father who has little, I hawked pepper on the streets of Ibadan as early as age 10 to help my mum.
Went to public primary and secondary school in Ibadan. Attended OOU and studied Physics. Because I had a 2.1, it opened the door for me to proceed to Finland for a Masters Degree in Biomedical Engineering.
During this masters degree, I worked part-time as a cleaner and did this after my Masters as well. Out of determination, I applied to over 100 schools for my PhD and finally got a full 3 year scholarship (later extended to 4 years scholarship) at University of Saskatchewan, Canada to pursue a PhD in Biomedical Engineering. While in that PhD program, I worked part-time as a makeup artist, teaching assistant, braided hair and fix weaves to make extra money.
Today I walked the stage as the first black person to bag a PhD in Biomedical Engineering from University of Saskatchewan, Canada!!! I walked this stage for you Mama Africa and for my Motherland Nigeria!!! I walked the stage for all of you black women disrespected and looked down on!!!! I walked for all of you from my ghetto hood “Mokola”, Ibadan.
I walked for all OSU students and ex-students that got that look from people who think we are not brilliant!! I walked for all of you Africans in Finland wondering what is next for you!!
Specially, I walked for you my parents. siblings and extended family in fulfillment of your dreams! Specially, I walked the stage for you my late sister Omoleye Olubamiji and my late mentor Ayodele Olatunbosun.
Today I walked for my future husband and my unborn children who patiently waited for me to fulfill my dreams so that he can have a wife he will be proud of and they can have a role model to look up to.
I walked for all immigrants and all young adults who strived everyday chasing their dreams!!! I walked in celebration of the unfailing love of my first and one truly true love Jesus Christ (in you I walk in you I live and in you I have had and will continue to have my being)!!!
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Lifestyle: This Taiwanese tea is so popular in London that it's only sold twice a day and is limited to 1 per person
- Tech: Gamers from across the eSports industry are paying tribute to the victims of the Madden shooting in Jacksonville
- Kenya reject chance to host 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations after Ghana axing
- Ghana stripped of hosting rights for 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations
- Dogboe dares fellow champions to a showdown
- Akufo-Addo to construct 20 TVET schools across Ghana
- Yacouba hits brace as Kotoko beat Hearts in friendly
- ECOWAS Brown Card training intensifies; reaches National Bureau Secretariat
- Politics: Police have identified the suspect in the deadly shooting in Jacksonville — here's what we know about him
- Bawumia lauds Isaac Dogboe; says he is great
- Politics: The White House was going to issue a statement praising John McCain — until Trump reportedly nixed it
- Deadly Kidnappers Kill Businessman, Abduct His Girlfriend
- "PDP Presidential Ticket Shouldn’t Be For A Man With Big Pocket"
- Bridge Linking Gombe, Adamawa, Borno Gets Completely Cut Off
- Leave Us Alone, We're Not Answerable To You - Wike government in "fraud" battle with EFCC
- Here Are Essentials That Students Need as They Prepare to Return to School
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Olubadan Celebrates 90th Birthday, Ibadan Obas Absent (Photos)
- PDP Challenges Buhari To Debate On Good Governance
- Win Or Bust For Goal-shy Sundowns In CAF Champions League
- Over 400 Former Beige Bank Staff Sacked
- Lakeside Business Centre Backs Stronger National Banks
- Ace Ankomah Shreds Menzgold
- ECOWAS Brown Card Training Intensifies; Reaches National Bureau Secretariat
- Rehabilitation Of Ghana's Railways To 'Create 750 Jobs'
- 112 New Engineers Inducted Into Ghana Institution Of Engineering
- Newspaper Headlines: Monday, August 27, 2018
- Kofi Adams, Why Won’t Discerning Ghanaians Panic Over Mahama’s Comeback?
- Re- Okoampah’s Insults On Kufuor, Agyarko
- Freight forwarders strike over Cargo Tracking Notes
- CAF seeking new hosts for 2018 AWCON after dumping Ghana
- Waasland-Beveren star Nana Ampomah fires in brace in win at Genk
- Ghana to miss out of 2019 Women's World Cup, AWCON axing affects Black Queens
- Enterprise Insurance intensifies campaign for building insurance
- Lakeside Business Centre backs stronger National banks
- Consolidated bank sacks over 400 former Beige bank staff
- I’ve committed ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ to Allah – Bawumia
- Banks Merger: 400 BEIGE bank staff sacked as restructure of Consolidated bank begins