The lady who is the last child out of five revealed how she worked hard to become the first black PhD holder in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Saskatchewan.
Read her interesting story...
As the 5th child of 5, I always had to wait for my turn.
I was the last, a girl child and raised by a mother who is farmer and a father who has little, I hawked pepper on the streets of Ibadan as early as age 10 to help my mum.
Went to public primary and secondary school in Ibadan. Attended OOU and studied Physics. Because I had a 2.1, it opened the door for me to proceed to Finland for a Masters Degree in Biomedical Engineering.
During this masters degree, I worked part-time as a cleaner and did this after my Masters as well. Out of determination, I applied to over 100 schools for my PhD and finally got a full 3 year scholarship (later extended to 4 years scholarship) at University of Saskatchewan, Canada to pursue a PhD in Biomedical Engineering. While in that PhD program, I worked part-time as a makeup artist, teaching assistant, braided hair and fix weaves to make extra money.
Today I walked the stage as the first black person to bag a PhD in Biomedical Engineering from University of Saskatchewan, Canada!!! I walked this stage for you Mama Africa and for my Motherland Nigeria!!! I walked the stage for all of you black women disrespected and looked down on!!!! I walked for all of you from my ghetto hood “Mokola”, Ibadan.
I walked for all OSU students and ex-students that got that look from people who think we are not brilliant!! I walked for all of you Africans in Finland wondering what is next for you!!
Specially, I walked for you my parents. siblings and extended family in fulfillment of your dreams! Specially, I walked the stage for you my late sister Omoleye Olubamiji and my late mentor Ayodele Olatunbosun.
Today I walked for my future husband and my unborn children who patiently waited for me to fulfill my dreams so that he can have a wife he will be proud of and they can have a role model to look up to.
I walked for all immigrants and all young adults who strived everyday chasing their dreams!!! I walked in celebration of the unfailing love of my first and one truly true love Jesus Christ (in you I walk in you I live and in you I have had and will continue to have my being)!!!
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- What To Do If You're A Child of God & You Feel Stuck In Life
- Posters naming DRC's Kabila as candidate appear in capital
- US rejects calls for UN support to Sahel force
- What Has Happened To The Precious Dignity Of A Woman?
- New Music: Keeny Ice - Barcode
- Zylofon Cash Premier League: Kotoko coast past Elmina Sharks
- New Music: Strongman - Monster feat. B4Bonah (Prod. by TubhaniMuzik)
- Zylofon Cash Premier League: Results and scorers on match day 13
- Politics: Trump is reportedly considering a plan to slap tariffs on imported cars
- Amnesty highlights sex-for-food claims in Boko Haram-hit NE Nigeria
- Putin, leader of war-torn C.Africa want better ties
- New Music: Strique Phame - So Me Mu (Prod. by Jerry K)
- StreetBeatz: Sarkodie's "Adonai" producer claims he's a good singer
- Christian Council and Catholic Bishops stand against homosexuality
- Majority Leader refutes perception that executive is controlling parliament
- Minority not involved in $89m Kelni GVG deal – Haruna Iddrisu
- Akufo-Addo action on Anas video a diversionary tactic
- Ghana legend Rev Osei Kofi threatens massive ‘demo’ against protecting 'corrupt' FA officials
- Tarkwa-Nsuaem NPP Secretary accuses MCE of assault
- Poisoned ex-spy's daughter says wants to return to Russia 'in future'
- Marine Drive Investment Project gathers steam
- BoG raises concern at rising NPLs
- Ghana’s foreign reserves hit new high
- I rejected a GHC 45000 bribe from Zoomlion boss – Abronye alleges
- Akufo-Addo’s bad governance making Mahama an angel – Bawa
- Guy Smarts: Sleeping in on the weekends could help you live longer
- Christian Council and GCBC express concern over church abuses
- LGS signs Agreement to improve agriculture in Northern Ghana
- Akufo-Addo action on Anas video a diversionary tactic - General Mosquito
- Rev Osei Kofi threatens massive ‘demo’ against protecting 'corrupt' FA officials
- Meet Airport Cleaner Who Returned $6,000 She Found In Toilet
- Notorious Robber Begs For His Life After Being Caught In Delta
- E-Money's 10 Luxury Vehicles Impounded Over N6M Import Duty
- Things You Should Know About Travelling Abroad
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Successful Operation Vanguard Activities Lead To Over 1,000 Arrests
- Ghanaians Should Appreciate Research Value For Quality Healthcare Delivery
- Journalism And Professionalism- Where Does Ghana Stand?
- Finance Minister To Chair World Bank/IMF Development Committee
- “Restructuring The Electricity Sector”
- Betrayal Is Always A Bad Thing!
- Debt-Burdened Malaysia, Autocracy, Corruption And The Future Of Bangladesh