President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday in Abuja said the long-suffering, commitment and sacrifices of all his supporters over the years will be remembered by posterity, urging them to remain steadfast in pursuing the overall good of the nation.
Receiving the Governance Support Group at the Presidential Villa, President Buhari said he remains “eternally grateful’’ for all the personal and collective sacrifices that culminated in winning the 2015 elections, assuring them that all the efforts would never be forgotten.
“I can never forget your sacrifices and I am grateful for all. You never gave up when things were bleak, and we needed to survive. I can’t express my gratitude enough.
“In spite of the environment you found yourself, you kept believing and pushing. Some of you were really exposed to risks. My consolation is that you voluntarily threw in your lot with me.
“Some of you exposed yourself so much, and I knew it. I urge you to still stick to your principled ways of doing things and our country will be the better for it,’’ he said.
The President said the administration had ushered in a new era of accountability and responsibility by auditing and correcting the many wrongs of the past that crippled the economy and created an exclusive class, promising to consolidate on the reforms he had initiated for change in the country.
“Some of the things I saw here were unbelievable. I still shudder and wonder how a country can survive under such abuses. It is only by an act of God that we survived,’’ he added.
President Buhari told his supporters that he was not oblivious of the personal risks and investments that brought in the government, citing the appointment of Mr. Boss Mustapha as Secretary to the Government of the Federation as most deserved because of his steadfastness.
“I want you to maintain your steadfastness. We have gone through the worst of the times. We lost elections three times and I learnt a lot along the way,’’ he said.
According to him, after losing in three elections and pursuing cases up to the Supreme Court, he learnt that ethnicity and religion had no place in Nigerian politics, but personal interests prevailed.
The Chairman of the Governance Support Group, Hon. Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, commended the President for the bold initiatives in restoring security, tackling corruption, and setting the economy on a more predictable path.
Nwajiuba said the group would continue to support and advise the President on areas that needed more attention, which include engagement with party members and supporters, empowerment of Nigerians and the fight against kidnapping.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Jenna Jameson just revealed she's lost a total of 80 pounds on the keto diet
- How Florian Munteanu cut weight for 'Creed II'
- Buhari ‘Covering Up Unemployment Figures Because Of 2019 Elections’
- Twin Sisters' Kidnappers Demand N15m, Vow To Kill One If Payment Not Made
- Cocoa Farmers Are Suffering Under NPP--Mahama
- Drought-hit Cape Town should cut down 'alien' trees: study
- Akufo-Addo Gov't Over Borrowing – Seth Terkper
- We want to seal qualification with victory over Finland – Adotey
- GOC Donates To Black Queens Ahead Of AWCON Opener
- Asante Kotoko Defender Emmanuel Agyemang Badu Allays Injury Fear
- Asante Kotoko To Play Togolese Side Koroki Tchamba Metete In Friendly
- U-17 WWC: We're Poised To Beat Finland To Seal Qualification To Knockout Stage - Coach Adotey
- Kotoko Striker Sogne Yacouba Leaves Burkina Faso For Ghana To Join Teammates
- Halik Hudu Wins Swedish U-21 League With Hammarby IF
- Kepa vs Alisson vs Leno – Which Premier League Goalkeeper Has Been The Best Summer Signing So Far?
- 2018 AWCON: GOC Donates To Black Queens Ahead Of Tournament
- AWCON 2018: Sports Minister & Normalization Committee Visits Black Queens
- 2016 defeat: I warned the party several times; no one listened - Asiedu Nketia
- 300 cops for NDC congress
- AFRIFF 2018: Rita Dominic, Lala Akindoju speak on day 5
- Couple who cannot smile because of a rare disease fall in love
- VIDEO: Fella Makafui and Medikal share passionate kiss in bed
- Special Prosecutor's office "needless waste of resources" – Batidam
- Lifestyle: We visited a certified parmesan cheese factory in Italy where 88-pound wheels can take up to 10 years to be finished
- Finance: The IMF just became the latest to warn about the $1.3 trillion 'leveraged loan' market
- Over 19,000 Ghanaians tested positive for HIV in 2017 – Aids Commission
- We won't entertain any vigilante group at our congress - NDC
- Mpuntuo Budget 2019: Gov’t Unveils GH¢73.4bn; For Roads, Railways, Free SHS, Industries
- Amidu Grabs GH¢180m To Fight Corruption
- Fake Doctor Busted At Kisseman
- 2019 Budget: Gov't to organize fundraising for National Cathedral project
- KNUST reopens today, lectures start on Monday
- Deported ex-UBS trader Kweku Adoboli arrives in Ghana
- Female footballers are not lesbians- Adwoa Bayor
- 2019 Budget: Special Prosecutor given GHC180m
- 2019 Budget: 80% of DKM customers paid- Finance Minister
- Twin Sisters’ Kidnappers Demand N15m, Vow To Kill One If Payment Not Made
- Outrage As Government Detains Popular Catholic Bishop
- Fayose Celebrates His 58th Birthday (Photos)
- Appeal Court Reduces Ex-Gov. Dariye's 14 Years Jail Term
- Gov’t To Collect GH¢58.9bn, Spend GH¢73.4bn
- Era Of Terrible Roads Spark Anger In Hohoe