President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday in Abuja said the long-suffering, commitment and sacrifices of all his supporters over the years will be remembered by posterity, urging them to remain steadfast in pursuing the overall good of the nation.
Receiving the Governance Support Group at the Presidential Villa, President Buhari said he remains “eternally grateful’’ for all the personal and collective sacrifices that culminated in winning the 2015 elections, assuring them that all the efforts would never be forgotten.
“I can never forget your sacrifices and I am grateful for all. You never gave up when things were bleak, and we needed to survive. I can’t express my gratitude enough.
“In spite of the environment you found yourself, you kept believing and pushing. Some of you were really exposed to risks. My consolation is that you voluntarily threw in your lot with me.
“Some of you exposed yourself so much, and I knew it. I urge you to still stick to your principled ways of doing things and our country will be the better for it,’’ he said.
The President said the administration had ushered in a new era of accountability and responsibility by auditing and correcting the many wrongs of the past that crippled the economy and created an exclusive class, promising to consolidate on the reforms he had initiated for change in the country.
“Some of the things I saw here were unbelievable. I still shudder and wonder how a country can survive under such abuses. It is only by an act of God that we survived,’’ he added.
President Buhari told his supporters that he was not oblivious of the personal risks and investments that brought in the government, citing the appointment of Mr. Boss Mustapha as Secretary to the Government of the Federation as most deserved because of his steadfastness.
“I want you to maintain your steadfastness. We have gone through the worst of the times. We lost elections three times and I learnt a lot along the way,’’ he said.
According to him, after losing in three elections and pursuing cases up to the Supreme Court, he learnt that ethnicity and religion had no place in Nigerian politics, but personal interests prevailed.
The Chairman of the Governance Support Group, Hon. Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, commended the President for the bold initiatives in restoring security, tackling corruption, and setting the economy on a more predictable path.
Nwajiuba said the group would continue to support and advise the President on areas that needed more attention, which include engagement with party members and supporters, empowerment of Nigerians and the fight against kidnapping.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Notorious Car Snatcher Arrested During Failed Operation
- Man Surprises Wife With New Car On Their Wedding Day (Photos)
- Power-Drunk Lagos DPO Leads Team To Raid Mosque, Others... 'we paid N30,000 for bail'
- Wicked Couple Killed Their Pregnant Housemaid Over Money
- 5 Sure Rules For Wearing Men's Suit
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NGO Cite MOFA Staff In Fertilizer Smuggling
- 20% Of Ghana’s Budget Lost Through Corruption Annually
- Collapse Of Sovereign Bank: BOST Board Chairman Resigns
- Green Corporate Star Award Launched To Promote Leadership In Green Business
- 'Among Them, He Stands Tall' - 94 MPs Reaffirm Support For Mahama
- Coalition Against Galamsey Demands Clarity On Roadmap To Lift Small-Scale Mining Ban
- Teachers Licensing Exams Immaterial Now
- UAE Will Create Businesses Opportunities For Ghanaian Enterprises - Ambassador
- Spio-Garbrah Outlines 'Pillars' To Strengthen NDC, Return Party To Power
- Panic Withdrawals Hit Some Savings And Loans Companies
- Hearts of Oak-Asante Kotoko Permitted To Use Guest Players In 'Double Super Clash' Friendlies
- Asamoah Gyan Is Still My Captain - Kwesi Appiah
- Fixtures: Preview of the top 5 matches in Europe this weekend
- Ranking: Did you know Aubameyang is the fastest Arsenal player?
- Ibrahim Tanko: Black Stars assistant coach explains absence of Gyan and Ayew brothers
- Politics: Justin Trudeau says he is continuing to 'engage diplomatically' with Saudi Arabia but remains 'concerned' over the impending execution of a Saudi activist
- These Samira Bawumia’s BEAUTIFUL Hajj photos WITHOUT make-up stuns the internet
- You look like 43yr old born 5- Kumawood’s 19 yr old Maame Serwaa trolled
- General Mosquito ‘begging’ for my contact- Atinka TV Di-Asa Finalist reveals
- [Cartoon] Ba-Ba-Ba-Bagbin, apologise or else!
- Archipalago to beat any Ghanaian lady who marries a Nigerian after Becca’s
- Robbery Suspects In Army Uniform Escape From Police Custody
- Fatal Accident On Lokoja Highway, 3 Persons Burnt To Death
- Big Ship Heading To Nigeria With Illegal Ammunitions Held In SA
- You Will Return To Your Village In 2019 - PDP Replies Buhari
- Ajimobi Meets Yinka Ayefele Over Demolition Of His Building
- We're Doing Our Best, I Know Nigerians Are Happy - Buhari
- Zimbabwe court to rule on bid to annul election result
- AUDIO: Asamoah Gyan Is Likely To Retire After AFCON 2019 - Anim Addo
- FOUR Key Points That Distinguished Isaac Cofie's Fantastic Debut With Sporting Gijon
- Ghana-target Derrick Luckassen set to join German side Hertha BSC
- Deputy Attorney General Joseph Kpemka explains new decision on GFA