Wednesday is the deadline set by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for parties to submit the names of their presidential candidates and their running mates, meaning a series of meetings have been going on since Sunday when Atiku won the PDP ticket.
A source privy to some of the ongoing meetings said that
These are a strong desire to get someone to play the 'Osinbajo role' for Atiku, the need to accommodate the South-West in the national structure, and the electoral value of the region ahead of 2019.
“The whole focus is definitely between South-West and South-East. A lot of dynamics come to play, because the Vice Presidency is not strictly a political position,” the source, who requested not to be named, told SR.
“So, what they are looking at are the sentiments that the vice presidential candidate can drive for the joint ticket. To a large extent, they are looking at South-East, of course; and I can confirm to you that the South-East has a strong case. But the major consideration delaying the announcement is that a lot of stakeholders feel that the position should go to South-West. And they’ve been giving lots of reasons for that.
“First, during the Goodluck Jonathan administration, PDP marginalised the region to a large extent. Anyim Pius Anyim (South-East) was the SGF, Namadi Sambo (North-West) was the Vice President, David Mark (North-Central) was the Senate President. There was no south-westerner in the top five offices in the country. It was one of what Buhari used in campaigning against Jonathan in 2015, that the South-West was not regarded in the scheme of things.
“Also, the South-West has the second-highest number of registered voters, so we should be able to do something for that region in order to get their support.
“They are also looking at the Osinbajo factor as well. Osinbajo comes across as a technocrat, somebody who is intelligent, very smart — and he is from South-West.
So if we are trying to get the votes of South-West in 2019, the question they will ask is: ‘What do you have for us, because APC is giving us the VP.’
“To you and me, it doesn’t make sense — because we know that, to a large extent, where you come from does not really have a direct impact on the people’s yearnings.
"Having Osinbajo in government was a factor for Tinubu; when the cabal was moving against him, trying to short-change him, Osinbajo was the one standing for him in the presidency.
"So, to a large extent, the party hierarchy feel that if they have someone like that occupying the number-two position, they will be able to push the South-West agenda from the presidency; and they have someone they can hold responsible if Atiku does not deliver his restructuring programme.
"So, that’s the argument from the South-West over the past 24 hours, and the decision-makers are already considering it.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Dr. Bawumia For UK Investment Summit
- Anas Exposé: I Feel Sad For Former GFA Boss Kwesi Nyantakyi - Asamoah Gyan
- We Will Surely Qualify For AFCON - Asamoah Gyan Assures Ghanaians
- Asamoah Gyan Reveals Why He Shockingly Left Sunderland For UAE On Loan
- Poisonous Chinese tilapia destroyed [Video]
- Okyenhene Okays 1D1F
- First Photos of Ooni Of Ife With His Beautiful Bride in His Palace
- Governor Ganduje In Trouble As Kano Assembly Begins Action
- Why Cameroonians Must Reject President Paul Biya
- Netpreneur: The Rise of Nigeria's Digital Whiz
- Don’t Use Your Uniform To Intimidate Civilians - Akufo-Addo Warns Soldiers
- Cameroon court rejects all appeals over electoral conduct
- Through The Haze, A Better Democracy
- Laying in the sand…and round and round
- Vanquishing the Republic: Harry and Meghan in Australia
- NaBCO allowances better than NSS allowances - NDC MP
- Gratitude To President Akufo Addo
- The Knowledge Of Our Lord Jesus Christ
- SHOCKING: Ratomir Dujkovic Was Given GHC2.4 Billion For Qualifying Ghana To 2006 World Cup - Normalization Committee Reveals
- Asamoah Confident Of Inter Victory In Milan Derby
- APO: Special Economic Zones are key in reviving manufacturing In South Africa – Dube Trade Port CEO
- Blind man has a ‘guide-lioness’ instead of a guide-dog
- ‘Hashtag’ to be premiered at Silverbird Cinemas on October 19
- Lifestyle: An elderly man fell down an abandoned Arizona mine shaft, broke his legs, fought off 3 snakes, and lived
- UTV's newscaster Afia Akyere ties the knot in beautiful white wedding ceremony
- Student serves colleagues with cookies made from grandparent's cremated ashes
- Lifestyle: A Southwest flight made an emergency landing after a man reportedly wouldn't stop touching a female passenger against her will
- UN reappoints Nana Addo as Co-Chair of eminent persons to champion SDGs
- Sports: Mourinho all-out to save his job against former club as United visit Stamford Bridge
- Check out the solution for instant full and perky breast
- I had no idea of the judges murder in 1982 - Tsatsu Tsikata
- APO: Ecobank Transnational Incorporated announces co-option of new director
- Don’t intimidate civilians – Akufo-Addo to soldiers
- Eastwood Anaba advised me to attend Reign Album launch - Stonebwoy
- Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy are not creative - Kwame Nkrumah Tikese
- Dujkovic received GHC2.4 billion for qualifying Ghana for 2006 World Cup
- Finance: 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (SPY, SPX, QQQ, DIA, PYPL, TSLA)
- This sexy female pastor’s security detail and luxury cars will scare you
- Sports: Mayweather attacks Canelo Álvarez on Instagram over failed drug tests, and says their fight was the 'easiest night' in his whole career
- Tech: Uber hired a special adviser to a British minister, and it highlights tech firms' thirst for political influencers
- Holala! IGP Guilty Of Contempt
- Stonebwoy To Host ‘Ashaiman To Da World’ Concert