Wednesday is the deadline set by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for parties to submit the names of their presidential candidates and their running mates, meaning a series of meetings have been going on since Sunday when Atiku won the PDP ticket.
A source privy to some of the ongoing meetings said that
These are a strong desire to get someone to play the 'Osinbajo role' for Atiku, the need to accommodate the South-West in the national structure, and the electoral value of the region ahead of 2019.
“The whole focus is definitely between South-West and South-East. A lot of dynamics come to play, because the Vice Presidency is not strictly a political position,” the source, who requested not to be named, told SR.
“So, what they are looking at are the sentiments that the vice presidential candidate can drive for the joint ticket. To a large extent, they are looking at South-East, of course; and I can confirm to you that the South-East has a strong case. But the major consideration delaying the announcement is that a lot of stakeholders feel that the position should go to South-West. And they’ve been giving lots of reasons for that.
“First, during the Goodluck Jonathan administration, PDP marginalised the region to a large extent. Anyim Pius Anyim (South-East) was the SGF, Namadi Sambo (North-West) was the Vice President, David Mark (North-Central) was the Senate President. There was no south-westerner in the top five offices in the country. It was one of what Buhari used in campaigning against Jonathan in 2015, that the South-West was not regarded in the scheme of things.
“Also, the South-West has the second-highest number of registered voters, so we should be able to do something for that region in order to get their support.
“They are also looking at the Osinbajo factor as well. Osinbajo comes across as a technocrat, somebody who is intelligent, very smart — and he is from South-West.
So if we are trying to get the votes of South-West in 2019, the question they will ask is: ‘What do you have for us, because APC is giving us the VP.’
“To you and me, it doesn’t make sense — because we know that, to a large extent, where you come from does not really have a direct impact on the people’s yearnings.
"Having Osinbajo in government was a factor for Tinubu; when the cabal was moving against him, trying to short-change him, Osinbajo was the one standing for him in the presidency.
"So, to a large extent, the party hierarchy feel that if they have someone like that occupying the number-two position, they will be able to push the South-West agenda from the presidency; and they have someone they can hold responsible if Atiku does not deliver his restructuring programme.
"So, that’s the argument from the South-West over the past 24 hours, and the decision-makers are already considering it.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- The Backpack Messiah
- Ethiopian rebels fire verbal volley over peace deal
- French PM kicks off national debate with Yellow Vests
- We’re Not Communicating Well For Ghanaians To Understand What We've Achieved – Bawumia
- Former Keta MCE Found Dead
- Agric Ministry Denies Claims Of $12m Missing Fertilizer
- Good News For Divisional Chiefs, Judicial Committee Members As They Earn Allowances From Next Year
- Can new EU measures turn the tide on marine pollution?
- Kintampo SHS needs special attention - Kintampo South PM
- CEPS warns bus drivers against carrying smuggled goods
- How 2 Men Were Caught With $2.8m By EFCC At The Airport
- Boko Haram mastermind of deadly Nigeria blasts arrested: police
- Burundi crisis summit postponed again: official
- Macron in Chad for Christmas dinner with Barkhane troops
- UN report on horror of gang rape and exploitation of migrants in Libya
- GHC180m approved for Special Prosecutor; Minority alleges clash of ‘egos’ with AG
- Former Keta MCE found dead in suspected suicide
- AshantiGold SC sign Burkina Faso goalkeeper Baba Zongo
- Meet the Catholic Priest who left his cassock to marry after 15 years
- CAF Confed Cup: Sharks aiming to swim against the tide in Kumasi
- GFA Normalization Committee sends goodwill message to Kotoko
- ASHMA to prosecute households without toilet facilities after February 2019
- Parliament Approves Drone Agreement. Here is All You Need to Know About Ghana's "blood Delivery Drones".MP4
- By switching to lower-cost remittance services, the Ghanaian diaspora could send their loved ones an extra gift this Christmas
- Melcom gives back with appreciation dinner
- Rémy Martin teams up with artist Matt W. Moore to invite us to rethink the way we see the world
- Mustapha Hamid makes false claims on pelele drains in Ashanti region - Masawudu Mubarick
- How KFC became China's most popular fast-food chain and made nearly $5 billion last year
- VIDEO: Ebony didn’t have a place to sleep when I met her – Bullet
- Wife catches slay queen driving husband’s car, she dragged her out of the car
- The Sad Story of Innocent Yousif Musah Who Got Stabbed
- CAF CC: Ashanti Regional Minister Buys 100 Tickets For Kotoko Supporters Ahead Of Sharks Encounter
- Go tough on Ghana’s ‘uncivilized’ sanitation – Rawlings
- Meet the 21-year-old Ghanaian tech whiz who’s coded for Instagram and Snapchat
- Amidu’s office can’t justify GHC30m expenditure – Minority
- Ex President Kufuor’s MCE for Keta commits suicide in uncompleted building
- Seize, sell Menzgold and NAM1's assets to pay clients – Ato Forson to government
- Segun and Ronke Abiona, the couple behind the Nicole and Giovanni brand talks to Business Insider in this exclusive interview
- Jose Mourinho: Manchester United sack manager
- White Lady flies down to arrest Sakawa Boy who duped her of over €20,000
- Capital Bank: Ato Essien Countersues Recievers
- Media Analysts Rate Journalists Performance at President's Encounter