The suspected killer-cop was said to be an operative of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) posted to Ajegunle to tackle traffic robbers along the Mile Two-Apapa axis.
It was gathered that trouble started after the driver insisted that he only had N500 to give the policeman, who got infuriated and fired the driver.
Other drivers who witnessed the incident were said to have descended on the policeman, who was rescued and taken away by his colleagues.
The policemen, who rescued the trigger-happy cop, allegedly shot in the air to scare the mob before they took their colleague away.
Not satisfied, the tanker drivers were said to have mobilised their colleagues from other parts of the state and they laid siege to the road to Apapa, worsening traffic congestion.
A source said the protesters burnt tyres on the road, while hoodlums capitalised on the protest to rob people.
The Nation learnt that some vehicles were vandalised, while commercial activities were paralysed.
As people scampered for safety, it was gathered that many sustained injuries.
A driver, Danladi Usman, said: “We are being over extorted. We pay N1,000 to the police. We pay to officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA) and to local government officials. To worsen the matter, we pay to area boys. The extortion is becoming a burden on us. If we do not have money, they make us to pay with our lives. Is it a crime to be a truck driver?”
Police spokesman Chike Oti said details of the incident were still sketchy.
He said: “There was a crisis in the area and we heard that someone died in the crisis. The Commissioner of Police, Imohimi Edgal, has directed investigation into the matter. At the end of investigation, anyone found culpable will be prosecuted. However, the outcome of the investigation will be made known to the public.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Macron, intelligence and the Yellow Vest protests
- Is the French government too intelligent?
- 'Jordan Ayew Not Good Enough For Crystal Palace' - Former Arsenal Star
- FIFA Ranking: Ghana Ranked 51st In Latest FIFA Rankings, No. 6 In Africa
- Putin applauds Trump's decision to pull US troops out of Syria
- Austria celebrates 200 years of beloved carol 'Silent Night'
- Exercise could be as effective as pills at combatting the number 1 'silent killer' — more evidence that working out is a miracle drug
- A former Google HR exec asks job candidates a tough question to figure out how they'll act 'when the chips are down'
- I cut Google out of my life for 2 weeks, but the alternatives prove why Google is so much better
- Arsenal close in on bottle throwing spectator
- Nana Aba Anamoah to host Sarkodie's Rapperholic 2018
- CAF CC: Kariobangi Sharks arrive in Ghana ahead of Kotoko tie (PHOTOS)
- MANASSEH’S FOLDER: Why guinea fowl jab exposes Akufo-Addo as an opportunistic politician, not a leader
- Allow bloggers to publish fake stories, that is how they also eat – Kwesi Arthur
- Prez Akufo-Addo promotes 44 prison personnel
- I hope for a new beginning for Ghana football - Nana Addo to NC
- Man shot dead after hunter supposedly ‘mistook’ him’ for an animal
- PHOTOS: Buhari Commissions New Abuja Airport Terminal
- Ninth person dies in Yellow Vest protests
- Student killed in Sudan bread price protests
- Morocco eyes 'terror' link as new arrests made in hikers murder
- DR Congo poised for election postponement, says candidate
- Franklin Cudjoe On President Akufo-Addo's Encounter With The Media
- DCE Denies Fueling Bole Chieftaincy Clash
- 9-Member ROPAA Implementation Committee Inaugurated
- Majority Fights Ablakwa's Claims On Norway Embassy
- The Spitting Galore; We Are All At Risk
- Tarkwa-Nsuaem Municipal Assembly Holds 2018 3rd Quarter Town Hall Meeting
- Dr Kyei Has Done Everything To Ensure Kotoko Beat Kariobangi Sharks - Nana Kwasi Gyembibi
- CAF CC: Kariobangi Sharks Arrive In Ghana Ahead Of Kotoko Encounter
- Asante Kotoko Complete Second Training Pitch [PHOTOS]
- PFAG Welcomes NC's Decision To Resume Football In January
- Kotoko C.E.O George Amoako calls for support ahead of Kariobangi Sharks clash
- Alhaji Grunsah warns Asante Kotoko ahead of Kariobangi Sharks clash
- Sign Defoe to replace Jordan Ayew - Arsenal Legend advises Crystal Palace
- We pay you and your ministers to work for us, not vice versa – Franklin Cudjoe reminds Akufo-Addo
- Ashanti Gold unveil new kits
- Sharks arrive in Ghana for Confed Cup return clash against Kotoko
- Police Hospital raise alarm over increasing drowning fatalities
- CPP’s petition on Public Holidays Amendment Bill is ’empty’ – Collins Owusu Amankwah
- Dumelo doesn’t vote in Ayawaso West Wuogon; he’s not our focus – Dep. NPP Comms. Director
- South Africa: Statement by International Monetary Fund (IMF) Managing Director Christine Lagarde at the Conclusion of her visit to South Africa