The suspected killer-cop was said to be an operative of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) posted to Ajegunle to tackle traffic robbers along the Mile Two-Apapa axis.
It was gathered that trouble started after the driver insisted that he only had N500 to give the policeman, who got infuriated and fired the driver.
Other drivers who witnessed the incident were said to have descended on the policeman, who was rescued and taken away by his colleagues.
The policemen, who rescued the trigger-happy cop, allegedly shot in the air to scare the mob before they took their colleague away.
Not satisfied, the tanker drivers were said to have mobilised their colleagues from other parts of the state and they laid siege to the road to Apapa, worsening traffic congestion.
A source said the protesters burnt tyres on the road, while hoodlums capitalised on the protest to rob people.
The Nation learnt that some vehicles were vandalised, while commercial activities were paralysed.
As people scampered for safety, it was gathered that many sustained injuries.
A driver, Danladi Usman, said: “We are being over extorted. We pay N1,000 to the police. We pay to officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA) and to local government officials. To worsen the matter, we pay to area boys. The extortion is becoming a burden on us. If we do not have money, they make us to pay with our lives. Is it a crime to be a truck driver?”
Police spokesman Chike Oti said details of the incident were still sketchy.
He said: “There was a crisis in the area and we heard that someone died in the crisis. The Commissioner of Police, Imohimi Edgal, has directed investigation into the matter. At the end of investigation, anyone found culpable will be prosecuted. However, the outcome of the investigation will be made known to the public.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race For Knockout Stage Heats Up
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- My ex-staff now hawks tiger nuts; it breaks my heart – UT’s Amoabeng
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Ghanaians descend heavily on Anas following Sannie Daara legal knockout in human rights suit
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- Dr. Da Costa Applauds Gov’t over New Ambulances
- Ozil Ready To Frustrate Arsenal
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Family of late cop exposes Mahama over video showed to diplomats
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Gen. Mosquito, Ofosu-Ampofo, Ponkoh, run for cover as NDC meeting turns bloody
- Chief Imam In London
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- These 5 fuel stations have decreased their fuel prices despite the weak performance of the Ghanaian cedi
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary