He warned that Nigerians, and not God, should accept responsibility, if peace eludes the country. He expressed the hope that 2019 “will indeed be a year of blessings for all and sundry in the country”.
The elder statesman gave the advice on Sunday evening during the 2018 Christmas Carol and Service of Six Lessons organised by the Chapel of Christ the Glorious King (CCKG) situated inside the sprawling Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL), Abeokuta, the State capital.
“National peace is very important in view of the growing insecurity in the country,” said a statement by Obasanjo’s Special Assistant (Media) Kehinde Akinyemi.
The ex-president, who expressed delight at the service, however, said the present situation in the country was not good enough.
“The situation is getting worrisome by the day. I was in Kaduna and I thought that the story would be different. The people there said insecurity, kidnapping and killings are happening.
“If peace eludes us, it is not an act of God, but our making. That is why I am happy that our Bishop in his sermon also talked about peace. This is the appropriate time to talk about peace; this is the season of peace.
“It will be a year of blessings for each one, and particularly for Nigeria. When people come to me and say they are giving up on the country, I tell them no and that next year is a year of blessings for all.
“With right statements and right actions, people will be trooping back into the country. We had it before; there is no reason not to have it again,” Obasanjo said.
Archbishop of Ogun Province, the African Church, Abeokuta Most Revd. S.O.B. Ojumu urged Nigerians to embrace the spirit of peace during the festive period and as the general elections draw closer.
He called on the nation’s politicians to make peace their cornerstone while seeking political offices.
According to him, politicians should ensure that they do away with self-interest on getting to office.
Ojumu lauded Obasanjo for his role in peace-building globally. “He has contributed immensely for peace in Africa and the world,” the cleric said.
In attendance also was the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Taiwo Adeoluwa, members of Owu Traditional Council and the campaign train of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) governorship candidate, Prince Gboyega Nasir Isiaka.
To Buy Delicious Noodles Pizza
Click HERE >>
To Invest & Earn N200k to N1m
Click HERE >>
To Buy Cheap MTN & GLO Data
Click HERE >>
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Eyeing the White House: The Democratic Field
- NDC presidential election slated for 23rd February 2019
- An attack on one journalist is an attack on the entire press agentry - V. L. K. Djokoto
- Momade elected as Mozambique's opposition leader
- Netanyahu set for first-ever visit by Israel PM to Chad
- Tracing The Roots Of Poverty In Mineral Rich Africa
- Prestea/Huni-valley: Petepom MA School Gets Ultra-modern KG Block
- Mozambique ruling party grapples with state debt scandal
- Turkish Side Göztepe And Chelsea Agree Loan Deal For Baba Rahman
- Fatal crash near 37 Military Hospital kills 5
- IGP storms Yendi for final funeral rites of Ya-Na Andani
- Partner of renowned Ghanaian investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas shot dead
- How NAM 1 Was Arrested In Dubai
- ‘CHINESE ORDER’
- NDC Election Off
- NPP Lambasts NDC Over Menzgold
- Deadly Explosion At Military Base
- NDC Blames NPP For ‘Promoting’ Menzgold
- MFWA Condemns Killing of Anas’ Team Member, Demands Prompt Investigations
- The Murder Of Ahmed Hussein-Suale, Is A Vindication Of His Good Works
- No-Confidence Survivor: Theresa May and Brexit
- Restiveness In Alavanyo
- Ndewura Jakpa “Stabbed-In-The-Back”
- Human Beings Are Destroying Life On Earth But Deluding Ourselves That We Are Not
- Amidu Writes: Crime Will Always Be Treated As Crime In The Office Of The Special Prosecutor – Stop Politicizing Purely Criminal Conduct
- Zimbabwe Awaits Russian Investors
- Shambolic Attempt By The Kwabre East MP To Hoodwink Constituents Shameful And Insulting
- CAN: Persecution Of Ex-Christians And Witch Hunting In Nigeria
- CF CC: Augustine Sefa Ruled Out Of Kotoko-Coton Sports Match
- Australian Open 2019: Halep Survives Scare To Beat Kenin To Advance
- Caf CC: Ghana's Daniel Laryea Handed Sfaxien,Vipers Playoff Decider
- CAF CC: Kotoko Supporters Told Not To Lower Their Expectations Ahead of Coton Sports Clash In Kumasi
- CAF CC: Kotoko Player Cautioned Against Complacency Ahead Of Coton Sports Encounter In Kumasi
- Kotoko must check revenue leakages at gates — Nana Yaw Owusu
- Baba Rahman to join Turkish top-flight side Goztepe
- Police launch investigation into murder of Ahmed Suale
- NAM1 uses 'beautiful girls' to lure 'big men' to Menzgold
- Godfred Saka leaves Karela United
- Referendum on electing MMDCEs and district elections slated for September
- How NAM 1 was arrested in Dubai
- 5 perish in accident near 37 Military Hospital
- Farmcrowdy CEO Onyeka Akumah shares 4 business mistakes he made in the past that he will never repeat