The PDP had denied an earlier reported statement attributed to the Buhari Media Organisation that Ekweremadu and South-East governors were working for the success of the President Muhammadu Buhari’s re-election.
But an associate of Ekweremadu, who spoke with The Punch on condition of anonymity over the issue on Friday, said the Deputy Senate President deliberately stayed away from the campaign of the party’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar.
The source said Ekweremadu would not dissipate energy on a project that he was not considered worthy of playing any major role.
The source added, “The Deputy Senate President was not given any specific assignment in the Atiku Presidential Campaign Council, which I think is wrong. It is not proper that the PDP did not assign any national role to him in its presidential campaign.
“Ekweremadu was not even carried along when the PDP Presidential Campaign Council was constituted; he had no input at all. He also learnt of the composition, like other Nigerians, through the media. If Ekweremadu had not remained in the party, I doubt whether there would be any PDP to return to after the Supreme Court verdict that sacked the erstwhile national executive.
“It is wrong to say that he should campaign alongside his principal who is the director-general of the campaign council (Bukola Saraki). In any case, Ekweremadu was in Gombe State to campaign for Atiku. He is currently concentrating on the South-East, which is his own constituency. He is specifically focusing on how to deliver the South-East region.”
The source added that it was wrong to insinuate that the South-East governors were not involved actively in the PDP presidential campaigns because they felt Ekweremadu had been sidelined.
He said, “The truth of the matter is that the governors are also focusing on their own re-election. They will definitely show their power when the campaigns move to the South-East region.
“Is it when the governors take flights to Sokoto and Bauchi for campaign rallies that will show Nigerians that they are working for Atiku?”
Attempts to speak with Ekweremadu on the issue failed as of the time of filing this report. His Special Adviser on Media, Uche Anichukwu, had yet to respond to a text message sent to him.
He said the senator was active in the party’s structure and the Campaign Council.
To Invest & Earn N600k to N12m
Click HERE >>
To Buy Delicious Noodles Pizza
Click HERE >>
To Buy Cheap MTN & GLO Data
Click HERE >>
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Here are the capitals of the newly created regions
- Ahmed Suale Came To My House Jittering—Nyantakyi
- National Folklore Board Signs Contract To Protect Folklore
- "It's a joy to see my two sons playing for Bayern and Barcelona"- KP Boateng' father
- 'I condemn Nana B for slapping Sammy Gyamfi' - Failed NPP Youth Organizer
- You Have Surprised Me, Ex-President Mahama!
- Menaye shades Asamoah Gyan with photo of Muntari and son plus 'DNA' caption
- Date For 2019 BECE Revised
- Manasseh Azure Awuni exposes corrupt female appointee at Jubilee House
- Police Administration reshuffles senior officers
- Why There Will Not Be Another Biafra
- This is how angry man punished rat for chewing his phone charger
- Step mum who left boy’s hand to rot after cutting it sentenced
- Asamoah Gyan is a disgrace; must be ashamed of himself now – Ghanaians
- FLASHBACK: I'll die for NAM 1 because of his money - Willi Roi
- VIDEO: Anokye Supremo’s body finally arrives in Ghana
- Shatta Wale and Andy Dosty go on a twitter war - both threaten each other for digging their own graves
- I did not justify 'bloody widow' placards – Sam George sets record straight
- Takoradi: Audio Tape Exposes Arrested Kidnapper
- The Oracle Played A Game Of Chess In Dagbon With The Rise Of Naa Abubakari Mahama (Naa Gariba II)
- Hear Ye the Truth, the Family of the Late Tiger Eye PI Journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale
- 3 reasons why a first degree is not valued in Ghana anymore
- Nkoranza NPP youth defect to NDC over Techiman capital
- Huge Crowd At Agyarko’s Funeral
- Police Make Headway In Anas Boy’s Murder
- Bawumia Attends World Economic Forum
- Concerned Police Officer Writes To The President
- Asabke Breaks Down In Court, Afoko Expresses Outrage
- LIVE UPDATES: Ghana vs Mali (U-20 AFCON)
- FLASHBACK: Jesus' second coming may never happen – Willi Roi
- I exchanged phones with Okyeame Kwame for a week – wife reveals
- Kevin-Prince Boateng and wife Melissa Satta file for divorce
- Ahead Of 2020 Elections: NPP Activist Dares Mahama To Put His Family At The Battlefront
- GES Directive For WR School Heads
- Chantelle Asante rocks her baby bump on Instagram!
- Significance of Nana Addo’s yellow smock at Yaa-Naa’s investiture explained
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Dies In Car Crash Few Days To Her Wedding
- Public Workers To Enjoy Digitised Payments From July
- Volta Region Erupts For John Mahama
- Kotoko Shops For Holding Midfielder
- Corporal Punishment: Compliance On Ban Needs More Than ‘Threat’ Of Sanction
- Ghana Post MD, New Board Members Meet Asantehene Otumfuo