- Cristiano Ronaldo 'called Lionel Messi to claim he will win this year's Ballon D'Or'
- Messi had appeared to be leaked as this year's winner but Ronaldo is confident
- It would be Ronaldo's fifth Ballon D'Or, drawing him level with his great rival
By Matthew Smith For Mailonline
Published: 06:11 EST, 15 November 2017 | Updated: 16:56 EST, 15 November 2017
Cristiano Ronaldo called Lionel Messi to claim he knows he will win this year's Ballon D'Or, according to reports in Spain.
The front cover of what appears to be an edition of France Football magazine - which runs the awards - was published on Twitter, which seems to celebrate Messi as 2017's winner.
However Spanish newspaper Don Balon report the Real Madrid striker has told Messi that he has been informed he, rather than his Barcelona rival, will be the winner.
Cristiano Ronaldo 'called Lionel Messi to claim he knows he will win this year's Ballon D'Or'
Messi had appeared to be leaked as this year's winner, but this seems not to be the case
Ronaldo seems confident he will win a fifth Ballon D'Or, bringing him level with Messi
Ronaldo, who will draw level with Messi on five wins apiece in the Ballon D'Or if he triumphs this year, was reportedly congratulated on his achievement by the Argentinian.
The winner will be officially announced on December 7, the day before Ronaldo and Real Madrid begin their Club World Cup campaign as champions of Europe, having won a second successive Champions League.
The Ballon D'Or has been at the centre of the long-standing rivalry between Messi and Ronaldo, with the pair dominating the award for a decade.
Either Messi or Ronaldo have won every Ballon D'Or since 2008 and that looks set to go on
The last year a player other than Ronaldo or Messi won the award was 2007, when Brazilian attacking midfielder Kaka was named as the world's best player.
While Ronaldo is confident he will be 2017's champion, Messi has made a head start in his attempt to claim Ballon D'Or No 6.
Messi has scored 16 times in 17 games already this season, compared to Ronaldo's eight in 13, with just one in La Liga.
Most watched Sport videos
MOST READ SPORT
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Desperate search for missing after deadly Lake Victoria disaster
- Saraki Received By Crowd As He Arrives Port Harcourt (Photos)
- See African Country Where Father Is President & His Son Is The Vice President
- Beautiful Lady Becomes Speaker Of FUTO Legislature
- Moroccan migrants risk it all to reach Europe
- As We Had Founders Of Ghana So We Have Demolishers Of Ghana
- Time For Ghana's Leaders And Media Professionals To Be As Bold As President Nkrumah Was - If The Ghana-Beyond-Aid Is To Ever Materialise
- Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah: The Idea And Strength Of Africa’s Independence
- Time To Join The Movement That Ends Poverty
- Akuffo-Addo’s Appointees Mustn’t Give Ghanaians Reason To Repeat The 2008 Catastrophic Mistake(I)
- Tinubu As Godfather Atiku Or Saraki As President Is Chin-Bian
- Dreadful Pharmaceutical Corruption In The Netherlands Style
- Why Ghana Is Under The Yoke Of Economic Oppression
- Fear and anger as cholera strikes again in Zimbabwe
- Kotoko CEO Pays Working Visit To Alhaji Lamin, Serebour Boateng
- Kotoko Management Informed South African Embassy To Deny Me A Visa - Paa Kwesi Fabin Reveals
- First 1000 Finishers Of Millennium Marathon To Receive Special Prizes
- Top Female Officials To Serve As Mentors For Female National Teams
- Dr Afriyie Appointed To Chair National Anti-Doping Committee (NADC)
- Madam Elizabeth Sackey To Chair Gt. Accra Venue LOC
- Girl Smarts: Carmen Electra just posed nude at 46 and damn she looks good
- Health Tips: What is protein water and should you be drinking it?
- Tech: Google's ex-CEO Eric Schmidt says the internet will split in two by 2028
- Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Day: Today remains Founder's Day- Mahama maintains
- Lifestyle: American Airlines threatens to make people pay for a whole new flight if they want to change the time
- Finance: British politician pledges to break up "cartel" of big four accounting firms in radical overhaul
- Battle for The Goat: K.P Boateng settles the Ronaldo vs Messi debate
- Marching Orders: These are the most infamous red cards in football history
- Free Economy: Ghana ranked among countries with lowest government integrity
- Politics: Theresa May's leadership is in crisis after being humiliated by EU leaders
- Jesus Practiced Hospitality (Without a "House") and Generosity (Without a "Salary")
- New Kano State Deputy Governor Resumes Office
- A pupil killed, eight injured in a gory accident in Ellembelle
- 12 killed, 14 wounded in Mozambique jihadist attacks: source
- Poverty-stricken eSwatini, Africa's last absolute monarchy
- Marijuana (Wee) Legalisation (to Be Or Not To Be)
- Macron honours Algerians who fought for colonial France
- More than 100 die in Lake Victoria ferry disaster