- Cristiano Ronaldo 'called Lionel Messi to claim he will win this year's Ballon D'Or'
- Messi had appeared to be leaked as this year's winner but Ronaldo is confident
- It would be Ronaldo's fifth Ballon D'Or, drawing him level with his great rival
By Matthew Smith For Mailonline
Published: 06:11 EST, 15 November 2017 | Updated: 16:56 EST, 15 November 2017
Cristiano Ronaldo called Lionel Messi to claim he knows he will win this year's Ballon D'Or, according to reports in Spain.
The front cover of what appears to be an edition of France Football magazine - which runs the awards - was published on Twitter, which seems to celebrate Messi as 2017's winner.
However Spanish newspaper Don Balon report the Real Madrid striker has told Messi that he has been informed he, rather than his Barcelona rival, will be the winner.
Cristiano Ronaldo 'called Lionel Messi to claim he knows he will win this year's Ballon D'Or'
Messi had appeared to be leaked as this year's winner, but this seems not to be the case
Ronaldo seems confident he will win a fifth Ballon D'Or, bringing him level with Messi
Ronaldo, who will draw level with Messi on five wins apiece in the Ballon D'Or if he triumphs this year, was reportedly congratulated on his achievement by the Argentinian.
The winner will be officially announced on December 7, the day before Ronaldo and Real Madrid begin their Club World Cup campaign as champions of Europe, having won a second successive Champions League.
The Ballon D'Or has been at the centre of the long-standing rivalry between Messi and Ronaldo, with the pair dominating the award for a decade.
Either Messi or Ronaldo have won every Ballon D'Or since 2008 and that looks set to go on
The last year a player other than Ronaldo or Messi won the award was 2007, when Brazilian attacking midfielder Kaka was named as the world's best player.
While Ronaldo is confident he will be 2017's champion, Messi has made a head start in his attempt to claim Ballon D'Or No 6.
Messi has scored 16 times in 17 games already this season, compared to Ronaldo's eight in 13, with just one in La Liga.
Most watched Sport videos
MOST READ SPORT
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Game Of Marriage 2
- Faye Mpaebo 3
- Tech: A bullet in a shoe and people trampling over each other: Witnesses to the shooting at YouTube recall moments of panic (GOOG, GOOGL)
- Latest Updates & Breaking News of Ghana | News Ghana
- Politics: Russia is using Twitter to crowdsource ways to respond to the US expulsion of its diplomats
- Real Madrid dispatch Kwadwo Asamoah's Juventus 3-0
- Tech: Read the e-mail Google CEO Sundar Pichai sent employees about the YouTube shooting
- Business College International Launches 15th Anniversary Celebrations
- Finance: An Air Canada jet was forced to make an emergency landing after pilots reported smoke in the cockpit
- BCI launches 15th anniversary celebrations
- NDC’s secret deal with US military out
- Opuni, Agongo plead not guilty
- Tony Elumelu Foundation selects 1,000 entrepreneurs for 2018 programme
- David Oscar: "Talent got Stonebwoy the BET award, not riches" - singer fires at Shatta Wale
- Tech: The #DeleteFacebook movement is a strong reminder that none of these so-called 'free' services are truly free (FB)
- Finance: Dow Jones soars as much as 500 points as trade-war fears subside
- Strategy: Chicago's attempt to impress Amazon backfired after it destroyed a 'priceless' graffiti artwork in HQ2 bid clean-up
- Tech: Alphabet's chairman and a Google distinguished engineer won a prestigious $1 million prize
- RTI will be law by end of 2018 – Hamid
- 'If you can't call him 'mi wura', 'nts3', my lord, don't marry him' – Duncan-Williams
- Opuni, Agongo granted GH¢600,000 bail
- State parades 9 Lawyers for Opuni’s trial
- One of Africa’s most promising cities has a trash problem
- Tech: 12 fitness 'truths' that are doing more harm than good
- Tech: The incredible story of the 'Virtual Boy' — Nintendo's VR headset from 1995 that failed spectacularly
- Politics: Kim Jong Un reportedly makes history with first-ever visit to China as head of state
- Diamond Pub & Grill: Has Shatta Michy's pub business collapsed?
- Tech: New FCC order will accelerate 5G rollouts
- Finance: Facebook is officially in a bear market as the FTC confirms a probe into the Cambridge Analytica data scandal (FB)
- Finance: Facebook enters a bear market as the FTC confirms a probe into the Cambridge Analytica data scandal (FB)
- Politics: A doctored photo showing a prominent Parkland shooting survivor ripping up the Constitution went viral on right-wing social media
- Travel Trivia: Male shoppers scoop all prizes in malls' holiday travel trivia final
- Pulse Food: How to make creamy coconut porridge
- Ghana’s Young Swimming Team Buoyant For GC 2018
- Azumah Nelson Fight Night Series Comes To An End
- Opuni faces 25 years jail term - Gloria Akuffo
- NDC buses supporters to court over Opuni trial
- Ghana named amongst top ranked investment destinations in Africa for 2017
- Construction begins for Koforidua Youth and Sports Center
- Sierra Leone court lifts order halting presidential election
- Cavani Scores As Uruguay Beat Wales To Win China Cup