- Lionel Messi's tame shot in the 30th minute was spilled by Valencia keeper Neto
- The ball clearly bounced over the line before the Brazilian dragged it back over
- Jordi Alba, who scored Barcelona's late leveller, said it was 'clearly' a goal
By Richard Martin, Reuters
Published: 18:54 EST, 26 November 2017 | Updated: 19:26 EST, 26 November 2017
Barcelona have hit out at the referee and his assistants for failing to award Lionel Messi's first half 'goal' in an action-packed 1-1 draw at La Liga title rivals Valencia on Sunday.
Messi's tame shot in the 30th minute was spilled by Valencia goalkeeper Neto and bounced over the line before the Brazilian dragged it back over.
Messi celebrated along with his team-mates but referee Ignacio Iglesias Villanueva allowed play to continue and Valencia almost scored at the other end as Simone Zaza flashed a shot just wide, narrowly averting more controversy.
Neto fumbled Lionel Messi's shot and replays showed a goal should have been given
Messi and team-mate Barcelona Luis Suarez could not believe a goal had not been awarded
Valencia took the lead on the hour with a close-range strike from Spain international Rodrigo Moreno which looked set to reduce Barca's advantage at the top to a point.
But Alba met a gorgeous lofted pass from Lionel Messi to equalise in the 82nd minute, denying his former side their first home win over Barca since 2007.
The Catalans lead the standings on 35 points after 13 games, while Valencia have 31. Atletico Madrid and champions Real Madrid are third and fourth respectively on 27.
'In the end, the important thing is that we scored the goal but the referee made a monumental error, even I saw it from the middle of the pitch,' Barca defender Jordi Alba told reporters.
'We watched it at halftime and it was clear. It was very clear. You can interpret a foul in a certain way but plays like this have to be seen.'
The Spanish top flight is the only one of Europe's leading five leagues which has so far shunned the use of goal-line technology, much to the frustration of the teams.
Jordi Alba silenced the fans of his former club before blowing a kiss down the TV cameras
Last season officials failed to award Barca a goal despite television replays showing the ball had crossed the line during a 1-1 draw with Real Betis.
The Spanish soccer federation (RFEF) announced this month that the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) system would be used in the league from the start of next season, joining the Bundesliga and Serie A in adopting the technology.
VAR involves assistant referees watching the action remotely and then drawing the match referee's attention to officiating mistakes or serious incidents that have been missed.
The left back managed to rescue a point for Barcelona after he acrobatically fired home late on
While goal-line technology just determines whether the ball has crossed the line, VAR can also be used for decisions on red cards, penalties and cases of mistaken identity.
'There will be a lot of things that VARs can't clear up, but I hope that they can help with things likes today,' Barca midfielder Sergio Busquets said.
'It's an evolution which we need. It's something we need. And not just for this goal.
'La Liga has the best players in the world, it's the best league in the world and it deserves the best technology. The goal was over the line, but neither the referee nor the assistant saw it,' he added.
Most watched Sport videos
MOST READ SPORT
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Tech: Elon Musk is lovesick and lonely after Amber Heard breakup, and doesn't know who to date next
- Secret passageway found under 1,000-year-old Mayan temple
- The rise and rise of China's 'groundscraper' hotel
- KABA´s days at Techiman Senior High School
- Praise & Worship by 12 years old Odehyieba Priscilla ( Must Watch)
- Military Coup: Robert Mugabe UNDER SIEGE
- Cristiano Ronaldo secretly calls Messi over Ballon D'Or
- Hilarious online gallery compiles worst car modifications
- New Music: E.L - Nina (Prod. by E.L)
- Celebrity Breakup: Ekow Smith and I were not compatible - Nikki Samonas
- Otiko Djaba’s cleavage causes stir in Parliament
- Quiz that’ll help you win every row with your other half
- I never attended secondary school – Obaapa Christy
- Doomsday warning to humanity signed by 15,000 scientists
- Mercy Johnson & Husband Shares Workout Photos
- DVD market is dead, you’re lucky if you sell 1000 - Shirley Frimpong-Manso
- 8 Major Things To Happen In 2018 Predicted
- Catholic priest mediates Mugabe's 'honourable exit'
- Jay Z, Kim Kardashian attend Serena Williams' wedding
- Mother's unique punishment to son goes viral
- FBI are investigating the judge that jailed Meek Mill
- KABA’s students recall fond memories of his days as a teacher
- Chelsea Clinton wears ladylike dress to Glamour event
- Watch: Wizkid drops music video for ‘Manya’, gives props to VIP
- Lifestyle: 5 adorable Ghanaian celebrity couples we hope never, ever break up
- Green tea supplements warning after teen's organ damage
- Students of Parkoso SHS study on bare floor
- Kwabena Kwabena not my lover – Frema
- Full story: How KABA died!
- Strategy: 5 books that can help you have a happier marriage
- Cristiano Ronaldo wants 7 Ballon d'Ors and 7 children
- Tech: A 20-year-old YouTube star just bought a $6.9 million mansion — take a look inside
- Video: Afia Schwarzenegger kisses Y FM’s presenter at DJ Mensah's All-White party
- Strategy: 9 ways to seem more attractive to everyone you meet
- Mugabe Agrees To Step Down, Negotiates For Wife To Leave
- I am not a Hearts of Oak supporter- Otumfuo
- Hollywood blockbusters are subtly fuelling sexism
- Yvonne Nelson’s baby ‘daddy’ shares new photo
- Sandra Achums Welcomes Baby Boy In Germany (Photos)
- Tiwa Savage beats Yemi Alade, wins best female West African act at AFRIMA
- Lilwin electrifies Kumkum Bhagya stage with crazy dance moves
- Comic Relief For The Complex Shatta Wale-Wizkid Math Question And Solution