- Lionel Messi's tame shot in the 30th minute was spilled by Valencia keeper Neto
- The ball clearly bounced over the line before the Brazilian dragged it back over
- Jordi Alba, who scored Barcelona's late leveller, said it was 'clearly' a goal
By Richard Martin, Reuters
Published: 18:54 EST, 26 November 2017 | Updated: 19:26 EST, 26 November 2017
Barcelona have hit out at the referee and his assistants for failing to award Lionel Messi's first half 'goal' in an action-packed 1-1 draw at La Liga title rivals Valencia on Sunday.
Messi's tame shot in the 30th minute was spilled by Valencia goalkeeper Neto and bounced over the line before the Brazilian dragged it back over.
Messi celebrated along with his team-mates but referee Ignacio Iglesias Villanueva allowed play to continue and Valencia almost scored at the other end as Simone Zaza flashed a shot just wide, narrowly averting more controversy.
Neto fumbled Lionel Messi's shot and replays showed a goal should have been given
Messi and team-mate Barcelona Luis Suarez could not believe a goal had not been awarded
Valencia took the lead on the hour with a close-range strike from Spain international Rodrigo Moreno which looked set to reduce Barca's advantage at the top to a point.
But Alba met a gorgeous lofted pass from Lionel Messi to equalise in the 82nd minute, denying his former side their first home win over Barca since 2007.
The Catalans lead the standings on 35 points after 13 games, while Valencia have 31. Atletico Madrid and champions Real Madrid are third and fourth respectively on 27.
'In the end, the important thing is that we scored the goal but the referee made a monumental error, even I saw it from the middle of the pitch,' Barca defender Jordi Alba told reporters.
'We watched it at halftime and it was clear. It was very clear. You can interpret a foul in a certain way but plays like this have to be seen.'
The Spanish top flight is the only one of Europe's leading five leagues which has so far shunned the use of goal-line technology, much to the frustration of the teams.
Jordi Alba silenced the fans of his former club before blowing a kiss down the TV cameras
Last season officials failed to award Barca a goal despite television replays showing the ball had crossed the line during a 1-1 draw with Real Betis.
The Spanish soccer federation (RFEF) announced this month that the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) system would be used in the league from the start of next season, joining the Bundesliga and Serie A in adopting the technology.
VAR involves assistant referees watching the action remotely and then drawing the match referee's attention to officiating mistakes or serious incidents that have been missed.
The left back managed to rescue a point for Barcelona after he acrobatically fired home late on
While goal-line technology just determines whether the ball has crossed the line, VAR can also be used for decisions on red cards, penalties and cases of mistaken identity.
'There will be a lot of things that VARs can't clear up, but I hope that they can help with things likes today,' Barca midfielder Sergio Busquets said.
'It's an evolution which we need. It's something we need. And not just for this goal.
'La Liga has the best players in the world, it's the best league in the world and it deserves the best technology. The goal was over the line, but neither the referee nor the assistant saw it,' he added.
Most watched Sport videos
MOST READ SPORT
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Lifestyle: This Taiwanese tea is so popular in London that it's only sold twice a day and is limited to 1 per person
- Strategy: The surprising story of how the former president of Mexico helped make Coca-Cola such a huge part of Mexican life that it's used in religious ceremonies and as medicine
- BoG liquidity support breached banking regulations - Ace Ankomah
- Hardworking staffs of Dalex Finance rewarded with a trip abroad
- Rehabilitation of Ghana's railways to 'create 750 jobs', says Minister
- 112 new Engineers inducted into Ghana Institution of Engineering
- Tech: Gamers from across the eSports industry are paying tribute to the victims of the Madden shooting in Jacksonville
- Kenya reject chance to host 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations after Ghana axing
- Ghana stripped of hosting rights for 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations
- Dogboe dares fellow champions to a showdown
- Akufo-Addo to construct 20 TVET schools across Ghana
- Yacouba hits brace as Kotoko beat Hearts in friendly
- ECOWAS Brown Card training intensifies; reaches National Bureau Secretariat
- Politics: Police have identified the suspect in the deadly shooting in Jacksonville — here's what we know about him
- Bawumia lauds Isaac Dogboe; says he is great
- Politics: The White House was going to issue a statement praising John McCain — until Trump reportedly nixed it
- Deadly Kidnappers Kill Businessman, Abduct His Girlfriend
- "PDP Presidential Ticket Shouldn’t Be For A Man With Big Pocket"
- Bridge Linking Gombe, Adamawa, Borno Gets Completely Cut Off
- Leave Us Alone, We're Not Answerable To You - Wike government in "fraud" battle with EFCC
- Here Are Essentials That Students Need as They Prepare to Return to School
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Olubadan Celebrates 90th Birthday, Ibadan Obas Absent (Photos)
- PDP Challenges Buhari To Debate On Good Governance
- Win Or Bust For Goal-shy Sundowns In CAF Champions League
- Over 400 Former Beige Bank Staff Sacked
- Lakeside Business Centre Backs Stronger National Banks
- Ace Ankomah Shreds Menzgold
- ECOWAS Brown Card Training Intensifies; Reaches National Bureau Secretariat
- Rehabilitation Of Ghana's Railways To 'Create 750 Jobs'
- 112 New Engineers Inducted Into Ghana Institution Of Engineering
- Newspaper Headlines: Monday, August 27, 2018
- Kofi Adams, Why Won’t Discerning Ghanaians Panic Over Mahama’s Comeback?
- Re- Okoampah’s Insults On Kufuor, Agyarko
- Freight forwarders strike over Cargo Tracking Notes
- CAF seeking new hosts for 2018 AWCON after dumping Ghana
- Waasland-Beveren star Nana Ampomah fires in brace in win at Genk
- Ghana to miss out of 2019 Women's World Cup, AWCON axing affects Black Queens