- Arsenal look set to record their lowest-ever attendance at the Emirates Stadium
- Signs outside the ground claimed the match against BATE Borisov was sold out
- Arsenal were through to the round of 32 in the Europa League before kick-off
- The crowd of 44,064 for a Carabao Cup in September currently holds the record
By Max Winters For Mailonline
Published: 15:38 EST, 7 December 2017 | Updated: 15:39 EST, 7 December 2017
Arsenal look set to record their lowest-ever attendance at the Emirates Stadium in Thursday's Europa League tie against BATE Borisov, despite the club claiming it was a sell-out before kick-off.
Arsene Wenger's side are safely through to the knockout stages of this season's second-tier European competition, meaning the game is a dead rubber for the hosts.
As a result a number of empty seats could be seen throughout the Emirates but signs displayed outside the ground before kick-off insisted the contest was sold out.
Arsenal look set to record their lowest attendance at the Emirates despite claims it is sold out
'Have never seen the Emirates so empty for a first-team game,' said Sportsmail's Adam Shergold at the Emirates Stadium.
'About half-full I’d estimate. But then this is a pretty tough sell, isn’t it? A dead rubber with qualification assured, live television coverage and folks tightening their belts with Christmas in mind.
'There is a small but excitable band of BATE supporters over in the corner - it’s about 1,900km from Borisov to London.'
Those who have braved the cold London night have been rewarded with an early goal after Mathieu Debuchy pounced on a loose ball before firing across goal into the net after 11 minutes.
Empty seats can be seen in their bottom tier of the stadium as the hosts play BATE Borisov
Fans appear to have missed the game due to Arsene Wenger's side having already progressed
While tonight's official attendance is yet to be confirmed, the crowd of 44,064 that witnessed Arsenal's win over Doncaster Rovers in the Carabao Cup back in September is the lowest-ever for a competitive first-team fixture at the Emirates Stadium.
The number of tickets sold for the third round tie came in less than the previous low of 46,539 for a League Cup match with Shrewsbury Town on September 20, 2011.
Those present at the Emirates against Doncaster suggested that although 44,064 tickets had officially been sold, the large sections of empty seats suggested the true attendance was even lower.
Most watched Sport videos
MOST READ SPORT
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Notorious Car Snatcher Arrested During Failed Operation
- Man Surprises Wife With New Car On Their Wedding Day (Photos)
- Power-Drunk Lagos DPO Leads Team To Raid Mosque, Others... 'we paid N30,000 for bail'
- Wicked Couple Killed Their Pregnant Housemaid Over Money
- 5 Sure Rules For Wearing Men's Suit
- NGO Cite MOFA Staff In Fertilizer Smuggling
- 20% Of Ghana’s Budget Lost Through Corruption Annually
- Collapse Of Sovereign Bank: BOST Board Chairman Resigns
- Green Corporate Star Award Launched To Promote Leadership In Green Business
- 'Among Them, He Stands Tall' - 94 MPs Reaffirm Support For Mahama
- Coalition Against Galamsey Demands Clarity On Roadmap To Lift Small-Scale Mining Ban
- Teachers Licensing Exams Immaterial Now
- UAE Will Create Businesses Opportunities For Ghanaian Enterprises - Ambassador
- Spio-Garbrah Outlines 'Pillars' To Strengthen NDC, Return Party To Power
- Panic Withdrawals Hit Some Savings And Loans Companies
- Hearts of Oak-Asante Kotoko Permitted To Use Guest Players In 'Double Super Clash' Friendlies
- Asamoah Gyan Is Still My Captain - Kwesi Appiah
- Fixtures: Preview of the top 5 matches in Europe this weekend
- Ranking: Did you know Aubameyang is the fastest Arsenal player?
- Ibrahim Tanko: Black Stars assistant coach explains absence of Gyan and Ayew brothers
- Politics: Justin Trudeau says he is continuing to 'engage diplomatically' with Saudi Arabia but remains 'concerned' over the impending execution of a Saudi activist
- These Samira Bawumia’s BEAUTIFUL Hajj photos WITHOUT make-up stuns the internet
- You look like 43yr old born 5- Kumawood’s 19 yr old Maame Serwaa trolled
- General Mosquito ‘begging’ for my contact- Atinka TV Di-Asa Finalist reveals
- [Cartoon] Ba-Ba-Ba-Bagbin, apologise or else!
- Archipalago to beat any Ghanaian lady who marries a Nigerian after Becca’s
- Robbery Suspects In Army Uniform Escape From Police Custody
- Fatal Accident On Lokoja Highway, 3 Persons Burnt To Death
- Big Ship Heading To Nigeria With Illegal Ammunitions Held In SA
- You Will Return To Your Village In 2019 - PDP Replies Buhari
- Ajimobi Meets Yinka Ayefele Over Demolition Of His Building
- We're Doing Our Best, I Know Nigerians Are Happy - Buhari
- Zimbabwe court to rule on bid to annul election result
- AUDIO: Asamoah Gyan Is Likely To Retire After AFCON 2019 - Anim Addo
- FOUR Key Points That Distinguished Isaac Cofie's Fantastic Debut With Sporting Gijon
- Ghana-target Derrick Luckassen set to join German side Hertha BSC
- Deputy Attorney General Joseph Kpemka explains new decision on GFA
- Feature: Leicester City star Daniel Amartey's rise to fame