- Arsenal look set to record their lowest-ever attendance at the Emirates Stadium
- Signs outside the ground claimed the match against BATE Borisov was sold out
- Arsenal were through to the round of 32 in the Europa League before kick-off
- The crowd of 44,064 for a Carabao Cup in September currently holds the record
By Max Winters For Mailonline
Published: 15:38 EST, 7 December 2017 | Updated: 15:39 EST, 7 December 2017
Arsenal look set to record their lowest-ever attendance at the Emirates Stadium in Thursday's Europa League tie against BATE Borisov, despite the club claiming it was a sell-out before kick-off.
Arsene Wenger's side are safely through to the knockout stages of this season's second-tier European competition, meaning the game is a dead rubber for the hosts.
As a result a number of empty seats could be seen throughout the Emirates but signs displayed outside the ground before kick-off insisted the contest was sold out.
Arsenal look set to record their lowest attendance at the Emirates despite claims it is sold out
'Have never seen the Emirates so empty for a first-team game,' said Sportsmail's Adam Shergold at the Emirates Stadium.
'About half-full I’d estimate. But then this is a pretty tough sell, isn’t it? A dead rubber with qualification assured, live television coverage and folks tightening their belts with Christmas in mind.
'There is a small but excitable band of BATE supporters over in the corner - it’s about 1,900km from Borisov to London.'
Those who have braved the cold London night have been rewarded with an early goal after Mathieu Debuchy pounced on a loose ball before firing across goal into the net after 11 minutes.
Empty seats can be seen in their bottom tier of the stadium as the hosts play BATE Borisov
Fans appear to have missed the game due to Arsene Wenger's side having already progressed
While tonight's official attendance is yet to be confirmed, the crowd of 44,064 that witnessed Arsenal's win over Doncaster Rovers in the Carabao Cup back in September is the lowest-ever for a competitive first-team fixture at the Emirates Stadium.
The number of tickets sold for the third round tie came in less than the previous low of 46,539 for a League Cup match with Shrewsbury Town on September 20, 2011.
Those present at the Emirates against Doncaster suggested that although 44,064 tickets had officially been sold, the large sections of empty seats suggested the true attendance was even lower.
Most watched Sport videos
MOST READ SPORT
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Tech: Elon Musk is lovesick and lonely after Amber Heard breakup, and doesn't know who to date next
- Secret passageway found under 1,000-year-old Mayan temple
- The rise and rise of China's 'groundscraper' hotel
- KABA´s days at Techiman Senior High School
- Praise & Worship by 12 years old Odehyieba Priscilla ( Must Watch)
- Military Coup: Robert Mugabe UNDER SIEGE
- Cristiano Ronaldo secretly calls Messi over Ballon D'Or
- Hilarious online gallery compiles worst car modifications
- Dear Youth,Look! Old Age Is Coming
- New Music: E.L - Nina (Prod. by E.L)
- Rejoinder: Customs Officers Expose Finance Minister
- Celebrity Breakup: Ekow Smith and I were not compatible - Nikki Samonas
- Otiko Djaba’s cleavage causes stir in Parliament
- Quiz that’ll help you win every row with your other half
- I never attended secondary school – Obaapa Christy
- Doomsday warning to humanity signed by 15,000 scientists
- Yvonne Nelson: 'My pregnancy was planned': actress says she planned for it when she turned 29
- Mercy Johnson & Husband Shares Workout Photos
- DVD market is dead, you’re lucky if you sell 1000 - Shirley Frimpong-Manso
- Third Africa Business Media Innovators Summit To Convene Media Visionaries From 20 African Nations in Ghana
- 8 Major Things To Happen In 2018 Predicted
- Catholic priest mediates Mugabe's 'honourable exit'
- Jay Z, Kim Kardashian attend Serena Williams' wedding
- Mother's unique punishment to son goes viral
- FBI are investigating the judge that jailed Meek Mill
- KABA’s students recall fond memories of his days as a teacher
- Chelsea Clinton wears ladylike dress to Glamour event
- Watch: Wizkid drops music video for ‘Manya’, gives props to VIP
- Lifestyle: 5 adorable Ghanaian celebrity couples we hope never, ever break up
- Green tea supplements warning after teen's organ damage
- Students of Parkoso SHS study on bare floor
- Kwabena Kwabena not my lover – Frema
- Full story: How KABA died!
- Man United star Pogba and brother attend MTV awards
- Strategy: 5 books that can help you have a happier marriage
- Cristiano Ronaldo wants 7 Ballon d'Ors and 7 children
- Tech: A 20-year-old YouTube star just bought a $6.9 million mansion — take a look inside
- Video: Afia Schwarzenegger kisses Y FM’s presenter at DJ Mensah's All-White party
- Strategy: 9 ways to seem more attractive to everyone you meet
- Mugabe Agrees To Step Down, Negotiates For Wife To Leave
- I am not a Hearts of Oak supporter- Otumfuo
- US investigators return to scene of Niger ambush: military