U.S. President Donald Trump said he wouldn’t want a poor person in charge of the economy, as he defended his cabinet, which is thought to be the wealthiest in the country’s history.
“Somebody said, ‘Why did you appoint a rich person to be in charge of the economy?’” he told supporters at rally in Iowa.
“So I said …because that’s the kind of thinking we want… because they’re representing the country.
Making a particular reference to Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, a billionaire former investor, Trump said:,
“They don’t want the money. And they had to give up a lot to take up these jobs.”
Trump, himself a billionaire, went on to refer to Gary Cohn, his chief economic advisor.
“This is the president of Goldman Sachs. Smart. Having him represent us, he went from massive paydays to peanuts, to little tiny … I’m waiting for them to accuse him of wanting that little amount of money.
“These are people that are great, brilliant business minds, and that’s what we need, that’s what we have to have so the world doesn’t take advantage of us.
“We can’t have the world taking advantage of us any more. And I love all people, rich or poor, but in those particular positions I just don’t want a poor person.
“Does that make sense?”
“If you insist I’ll do it but I like it better this way, right?”
Trump’s Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos is also a billionaire heiress, while Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, the former boss of oil giant Exxon, is thought to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Other rich appointees include Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, a former hedge fund manager, and Housing Secretary Ben Carson, who made his fortune selling books on his career in medicine and his political ideas.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire historic Cocoa floor price to begin in 2020/2021
- Format of 2022 World Cup qualifiers for Africa announced
- ‘I’m really sorry’- Ekuban apologizes to Ghanaians
- 19-year-old Solomon Asuhene is youngest Chartered Accountant
- We'll force Speaker to resign – Fighters
- GCB Bank staff suicide: Colleagues shocked
- Supreme Court orders sale of Woyome’s assets
- 2019 Africa Cup of Nations: Kwesi Appiah puzzled over Black Stars penalty curse
- Don’t learn our bad example - Former Central Bank of Nigeria boss begs Ghana
- Cyber Pirates Target Banks, Telecoms in Ghana – Police Warns
- Prestea Huni-Valley NDC Commends Gold Fields Ghana Limited.
- Herve Renard's Morocco beats Ivory Coast to reach last 16
- NASPA executives applaud Akufo-Addo for rearing for food and jobs programme
- Luxury Vehicle Tax killing us - Dealers cry out
- Innovative NDC Under President John Dramani Mahama Gave Life To The First Class 33km Tarkwa -Damang Asphalt Road
- 6-year-old disabled twin orphans live in abject poverty
- Disclose money used by Short Commission - Kweku Boahen dares Akufo-Addo
- Ghana signs deal to cut carbon emissions and reduce deforestation
- Parliament Made Changes of Select Committees, Ken Agyepong Chairs Local Govt
- PDS Injects GHC15m To Boost Power Supply In Oti Region
- 31 hotels, lodges and hostels shutdown in Eastern region
- "Involve More Women In Peacekeeping Operations"
- John Boye’s absence won’t affect the team – Coach Kwasi Appiah
- Appiah on potential early exit: You must be prepared for anything
- Read judgement: African Court on Human Rights dismisses Woyome case
- Majority Leader proffers 9 reasons for new chamber
- 2019 Africa Cup of Nations: We need VAR in AFCON - Kwesi Appiah
- MP Drags Minister To Parliament Over Spate of Armed Robbery
- Ethiopian referee Bamlak Weyesa to officiate Ghana-Cameroon clash
- You’re ‘criminal’; pay your debt – Maurice Ampaw mocks Woyome
- Stay away from child labour – Cocoa farmers warned
- Cocoa farmer cooperatives to access direct agrochemicals, other from COCOBOD – CEO
- Ayew family holds party for Dede, Jordan and Wakaso upon AFCON return
- Illicit drugs worth GHC1million burnt on World Drugs Day
- Learn to respect Akufo-Addo or risk going to jail - Irbard chides Manasseh
- Simplify your findings to policymakers – Former Nigerian Governor to economists
- NCA Case Lands In Supreme Court
- Kofi Annan ICT Centre, Sunyani Technical Univ collaborate to propel dev’t
- Ghana ready for Cameroon - Kwadwo Asamoah
- 2012 Election Petition: Sammi Awuku recalls his day in Supreme Court
- Nsapor M/A school abandons school block after rains rip-off roofing
- Prestea Huni-valley NADMO Boss Visits Rain Affected Residents At Bepo