U.S. President Donald Trump said he wouldn’t want a poor person in charge of the economy, as he defended his cabinet, which is thought to be the wealthiest in the country’s history.
“Somebody said, ‘Why did you appoint a rich person to be in charge of the economy?’” he told supporters at rally in Iowa.
“So I said …because that’s the kind of thinking we want… because they’re representing the country.
Making a particular reference to Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, a billionaire former investor, Trump said:,
“They don’t want the money. And they had to give up a lot to take up these jobs.”
Trump, himself a billionaire, went on to refer to Gary Cohn, his chief economic advisor.
“This is the president of Goldman Sachs. Smart. Having him represent us, he went from massive paydays to peanuts, to little tiny … I’m waiting for them to accuse him of wanting that little amount of money.
“These are people that are great, brilliant business minds, and that’s what we need, that’s what we have to have so the world doesn’t take advantage of us.
“We can’t have the world taking advantage of us any more. And I love all people, rich or poor, but in those particular positions I just don’t want a poor person.
“Does that make sense?”
“If you insist I’ll do it but I like it better this way, right?”
Trump’s Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos is also a billionaire heiress, while Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, the former boss of oil giant Exxon, is thought to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Other rich appointees include Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, a former hedge fund manager, and Housing Secretary Ben Carson, who made his fortune selling books on his career in medicine and his political ideas.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Yahoo Boys Madness: We No Longer Wear Pants - Delta Ladies
- Popular Banex Plaza In Abuja Sealed By Court Order
- Fear As Soldiers Lobby Not To Be Sent To Northeast Over Boko Haram Killings
- Presidency Reacts After Saraki Describes Buhari's 2019 Budget As Hopeless
- How Pregnant Lady, 80yrs Old Woman Jump Fence To Escape Deadly Fire In Lagos
- Minimum Wage: FG Insensitive To Workers, says NLC
- Fake Military Men Busted After Kidnapping Rich Couple
- Okorocha Locks Out Oshiomole, APC Leaders From Stadium
- Ex-president Rajoelina closes in on Madagascar election win: partial results
- Kariobangi Sharks chairman claims his team is focused ahead of Kotoko clash
- NDC chairman arrested over missing $12 million fertilizers
- 5 health stories that terrified Ghanaians in 2018
- Court throws out Kwabena Duffour's suit against BOG over uniBank takeover
- Menzgold’s Cry For Help: Parliament’s Finance Committee Divided
- Resistance 1— Liberia: 331 days of National Crisis and Nightmare
- Budget Presentation: Between Virtuous Jeers and Vicious Cheers
- WordDigest: Three Things To Attract Your Angel (3) Prayer
- Ghanaian Peacekeepers Offer Training To Lebanese Armed Forces
- Versailles Palace closes as Yellow Vest protests continue
- Kumkum bhayga don catch Becca
- Life Lessons Worth Knowing Before You Decide To Give Up
- Pcd Commends Hon. Barbara Oteng-Gyasi For Saving A Hole-In-Heart Patient From Prestea.
- Inspirational -The Birth Of Christ
- 297 new doctors inducted
- Wakaso to miss Valencia clash after being booked in Real Sociedad clash
- Government to pay allowances of divisional chiefs, judicial committee members
- Asante Kotoko chief Emdund Ackah takes swipe at Hearts of Oak ahead of Kariobangi clash
- We can’t help you – Finance Committee to Menzgold
- I will create sustainable jobs through textiles and garment industry - Sly Mensah
- Three appointed to Military High Command
- Two aspirants under pressure to step down in NPP Ayawaso West Wuogon primaries
- Accra under siege by Xmas shoppers; traders say sales are low
- LIVESTREAMING: 'Newsfile' on JoyNews
- George Amoako promises winning package to Asante Kotoko ahead of Kariobangi Sharks clash
- 20th Anniversary Home-Coming: Prempeh College ’98 Old Boys support alma-mater
- Alhaji Grunsah reiterates desire to become GFA President in 2019
- CEMAC empowers citizens on governance
- 1m dormant businesses to be deleted – Registrar-General
- Chief predicts massive 'YES' in new region referendum
- Nana Addo appoints new Chiefs of Naval, Air Staff
- Ex-Kotoko players, management members to get protocol access to Sharks clash
- ‘We’ve achieved a lot; we just haven’t communicated them well’ – Bawumia