U.S. President Donald Trump said he wouldn’t want a poor person in charge of the economy, as he defended his cabinet, which is thought to be the wealthiest in the country’s history.
“Somebody said, ‘Why did you appoint a rich person to be in charge of the economy?’” he told supporters at rally in Iowa.
“So I said …because that’s the kind of thinking we want… because they’re representing the country.
Making a particular reference to Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, a billionaire former investor, Trump said:,
“They don’t want the money. And they had to give up a lot to take up these jobs.”
Trump, himself a billionaire, went on to refer to Gary Cohn, his chief economic advisor.
“This is the president of Goldman Sachs. Smart. Having him represent us, he went from massive paydays to peanuts, to little tiny … I’m waiting for them to accuse him of wanting that little amount of money.
“These are people that are great, brilliant business minds, and that’s what we need, that’s what we have to have so the world doesn’t take advantage of us.
“We can’t have the world taking advantage of us any more. And I love all people, rich or poor, but in those particular positions I just don’t want a poor person.
“Does that make sense?”
“If you insist I’ll do it but I like it better this way, right?”
Trump’s Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos is also a billionaire heiress, while Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, the former boss of oil giant Exxon, is thought to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Other rich appointees include Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, a former hedge fund manager, and Housing Secretary Ben Carson, who made his fortune selling books on his career in medicine and his political ideas.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Here are the 3 worst things any man can say to the woman he loves
- I felt unbearable pain after DNA test proved 3 kids were not mine - Odartey Lamptey
- I am afraid - Suspected police killer speaks
- Top 10 richest African footballers in 2019; Essien, Gyan, Muntari make list
- We are traumatised after witnessing killing of policemen – 13-year-old girl cries
- Prisons Service denies unfair treatment claim by Nigerian jailed 130 years
- Scandal Rocks GRA; Board Chair Grabs GH₵1.4m
- WAEC releases 2019 BECE results
- Physically challenged woman thrown onto the Streets after brother sells her house
- Commanding Officer of Police Training School pulled out
- I'm certain delegates will give me 80% of votes – John Dumelo
- I’m not worried; Xenophobia or not people will always go to South Africa – SA High Commissioner to Ghana
- Xenophobic attacks: Ghana urged to cut ties with South Africa
- Here are all the results of the NDC parliamentary primaries
- I regret not checking up on Junior Agogo - Derek Boateng
- Stoubos CEO, others on trial for allegedly intercepting government communication
- Video: Solomon Asante scores in Phoenix Rising win in USL
- Emmanuel Frimpong blasts "overpaid" Arsenal players Mkhitaryan, Mustafi and Xhaka
- Manasseh exposé: PPA boss' company busted selling government contracts
- Stop attacking police officers – Mahama
- Legon medical student ‘commits suicide’
- We're ready to die to protect Ghana – Ghana Armed Forces
- Attack on Fulanis: Burkina Faso Consulate General in Bagurugu to broker peace
- Wanted: Police release photo of Eric Kojo Duah, Buduburam cops killing suspect
- Halt outsourcing of mining contracts - Mine workers Union
- Teachers ill-prepared for rushed new curriculum – Educationist
- Central Region:11 constituencies out of NDC primaries
- Crowd abandon mob justice, ask thief to desilt gutters at Nkrumah Circle
- Western North Region set for NDC primaries
- WANTED: Eric Kojo Duah, Buduburam Cops Killing Suspect
- Police arrests three for killing police officers at Kasoa
- Kasoa Police killing: Prime suspect arrested
- Akufo-Addo ungrateful, perpetuating an unjust betrayal on Dr Busia – Nana Frema Busia
- Fans open DJ Arafat’s coffin to confirm singer's dead body (Video)
- Ayanfuri: Clash between Operation Vanguard and youth leads to death of 2
- Kpone Katamanso elects Joe T
- My two wives, child are dead after ‘exposing’ 'occultic pastors' - Evangelist Dominic Appiah
- Ayanfuri: Operation Vanguard, Locals Clash
- African Games: Rose Yeboah wins gold in women’s high jump
- 3 suspects arrested for murdered police officers at Kasoa
- Anglogold Ashanti Iduaprime Mine - Tarkwa cuts sod for construction of Six Unit Classroom Block at Awudau
- You’ll lose 2020 Polls even if you rig - Islamic Cleric drops bombshell